Chapter 7: The Beast of the Mountain

Start from the beginning

"Go ahead. Get angry. Drop the facade. Show them what you really are."

Salem felt her blood run cold. Every danger signal in her mind had gone in an uproar. She could feel the murderous hatred in his voice. But even still, she held her ground. Turning her head, she glared through the slits of his helmet visor.

"I won't lay a finger on them. And what about you? Showing such hostility to someone you've never met?"

She could hear Oswald huff in amusement. He leaned forward, so close she could see his brown eyes through the visor. "I know more about you than you think. I've yet to find any monster nearly as disgusting as you, Cnimbrerh."

Salem didn't respond. Oswald had won by uttering that name. Primal fear had taken over her body, stole her thoughts and filled the gaps. Cnimbrerh was the name of the eldritch parasite that had plagued her body in the First and Second Timeline, before being killed by Yin. There was no way Oswald knew that name. There was literally no possible way he knew that.

Oswald didn't say anything. He just patted her shoulder and moved ahead, catching up with the others. Salem watched in silence, her body trembling.

He was dangerous.

Yellow eyes watched from far above, higher on the mountain face. On the upper walkways of Ragna, he watched with that wide, toothy grin that never seemed to falter. And next to him was the Royal Executioner clad in his bulky armor of frigid iron. The executioner was leaning against the railing, his arms folded across his chest.

"... They're really going to do this investigation," the man muttered in what sounded like disbelief. Jack's eyes widened, betraying his excitement. And yet, his body language said otherwise. As he always did, he remained perfectly calm and collected, unfazed by his own thoughts.

"Oui. After all, it is their job. Am I wrong, monsieur?"

"..." The executioner was silent for a long moment. Until finally, he asked the question that had been on his mind. "... Just what did you wake up in that mountain, Gulden?"

It was Jack's turn to be silent. But unlike his partner, it wasn't out of worry. Instead, he started walking along the walkway, following the adventurers from above. With a grunt, the executioner followed him. "Hey, Jack. I asked you a question."

"Are you going to force an answer out of me?" Jack hissed in an almost playful tone. The executioner shivered. With a sigh, the smiling man put his hands in his pockets. "... Cela n'a pas d'importance... You'll see soon enough. Oh, I can't wait, I can't wait..."

Whatever Jack had done, it was dangerous. That was the only thing the executioner knew. Jack was dangerous. The man stopped, his yellow eyed gaze shifting back to the executioner.

"As much as I'd love to watch... We shouldn't stay here," he cooed. "I would be fine, but you? It looks dark, mon ami..."

The executioner felt a shiver run down his spine a second time. But he still held his ground. "And if they survive... Whatever it is you woke up, what then?"

Jack's smile widened. "I'd be so happy... It would mean they truly are the threat Pope Iris says they are... He might even let me have a turn to play."

"Play?"

Jack didn't answer. He looked at the ground, a quiet giggle escaping his lips. The executioner took a careful step forward. "... J-Jack?"

Jack finally looked up at the armored man. His expression was enough to make the executioner take a couple steps back, his blue eyes widening under his featureless helm.