Chapter 7: The Beast of the Mountain

Start from the beginning

"Cunt."

Verde stepped over Yin as she made her way over to Vao. The cleric picked himself up from the ground, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a handkerchief. He pressed it against the bleeding wound, glaring at the witch hatefully.

Salem blinked a couple times, realization beginning to settle in. She reached forward and waved her hand in front of Oswald's face. There was no reaction. Filled with fury, she swatted the top of his helmet.

"O-ow!"

"You were sleeping!?"

Oswald looked around in confusion, his gaze finally stopping on the princess. "... Oh. Sorry, you just weren't worth the time. Your ghastly appearance gave me unpleasant nightmares."

"Excuse me!?"

Oswald clapped his hands together as he stood up. "Now, where is my hot cocoa?"

Salem growled. She wanted to punch him. But perhaps it was best to let it go for now. After all, they had a long day ahead of them. With a sigh, she stood up too, staring at her friends tiredly. "What time is it?"

"Uh... Like... Six, I think," Sasha answered. Salem nodded.

"Okay, we have time before we meet up with Roman. I was thinking we could take care of some last minute shopping."

Oswald crossed his arms, not hearing a word Salem had said. "Where is my hot cocoa?"

"Oswald, can you please focus?" Salem whined. Oswald scoffed at her and didn't say anything, continuing to search for his beloved drink. Salem growled, turning back to the others. "Stupid addict... Alright, what do we need to buy?" She asked them.

"What about explosives? We could use them," Yin suggested.

"Let's set off bombs in a cave. Bloody brilliant idea, Yin. You fucking piss monkey," Vao snapped.

"... Did I do something to you?" Yin asked sourly.

"Mate, you just made me look smart. Even I know better than to bomb a tunnel while I'm in it."

Yin blinked a couple times, and Salem could swear she saw the moment of realization. Leaving Yin to his existential crisis of how Vao outsmarted him, she sighed. "Anything at all? Do we have potions?"

"Ah!"

Salem turned to Oswald. "We do?"

The knight shook his head, crawling out from underneath the table. "No, I found my thermos. I can finally get my fix. I'm so 'quirky', as the coffee shop ladies would say."

"You aren't quirky, you're addicted," Salem growled.

"Ladies?" Vao asked with a dumb grin. Sasha beat him over the head with a stick. Verde mouthed out the words 'thank you' to the giant. Salem was getting annoyed.

"Does no one have anything they need to buy? Once we're inside those mines we won't be able to get anything!"

"Can we get a dog?"

"Oswald, what... Will you stop mocking me!?" Salem screamed. Oswald knew what he was doing and it was painfully obvious. "Come now, princess. We should get a dog."

Salem completely ignored him. "Alright then, we aren't getting anything!" She growled. "Let's go."

Knowing Oswald was taking pride in angering her, Salem was seething as she followed everyone out the door. But as soon as they stepped into the sun, his armored hand touched down on her shoulder and pulled her back, out of earshot from the others.