Author's Note

Hello, people! Good to see you here in what was originally my entry for ONC 2023! It ended up being one of the top 5 winners and has since been expanded into a novel; I hope you're going to enjoy it!

My chosen ONC prompt: #71. After discovering a precious and dangerous artifact, you become an instant celebrity. But things begin to happen that make you wish you had never discovered it.

Welcome to my personal hell.

If you've known me for longer than today, you know I have a penchant for writing darker stories. Blood! Guts! Death! Creepy monsters! Existential crises! God is dead and we killed him!

But sometimes, I just want to be a little silly. And that's at least partially what I'm doing here. Being a little silly.

Hopefully.

(There'll still be magic, and at least one nightmare creature, and the necessary dose of angst. But I shall try to keep it relatively tame!)

So what can you expect from #WitchcraftWednesday?

- Use of magic that is not in any way OSHA-compliant.

- Crimes. At least four committed. Likely more.

- A generous seasoning of what the actual fuck is going on?

- Fun! That is, if you don't run away screaming. Which I would, in all honesty, understand.

You read the blurb, haven't you? I'm not pasting it in here. You have fingers that you can use to click.

As a final note, I'd like to say a few words about the setting. The US city this story's set in is fictional. That's because I've never been to the US and I'm kind of obsessed with getting everything about a setting right, which... is just not always worth the hassle of doing very time-consuming research and still getting shit wrong.

It also helps me avoid the actually, I've lived in rural Pennsylvania and you can't buy chocolate brand XYZ there crowd. Guess what? My city, my rules. 'Tis I who controls the entire chocolate industry!

But let's get to the point. Time for our story to begin!

~

If you are reading this story on any site other than Wattpad, that means it has been put there without my consent. I (bigfivedonaldduckfan) have published it on Wattpad and Wattpad only; if you're reading this on a mirror site, get out of there, before you get infected with some sort of malware.