shirabu kenjiro : never again - pt 1

In honour of the announcement of the movie, I will be posting the first chapter of all my Haikyuu books so go check them out!!

WHEN WE WERE KIDS - young friend
"When we were falling in love, was only me and you."

Shirabu POV
"You're terrible at this," I tell my best friend bluntly as the volleyball hits way out of bounds. She groans at her failed serve, the serve I've been trying to teacher her for a couple months.

"I know! I'm trying though! I'm just not a sports girl!" She pouts and tries to defend herself. "Let's just go back to your place, I'm tired and hungry."

With a last sigh from me, we leave the park behind our middle school. Our middle school is pretty good, even if we've just been here for a year, and I'm on a good team. Y/n's not in a club because she doesn't like that kind of stuff, she likes to watch me instead. I always find it kind of embarrassing but I still like it when I know she's watching me. It's just my stupid crush on her.

As we walk the short walk to my house, I glance over at Y/n who now has a red mark on her forehead from where I accidentally hit her not that long ago. Subconsciously, I reach my hand out to touch it. Just before my hand can touch her skin, she turns around. "Kenjiro?"

I retract my hand immediately and look ahead like nothing happened. Thankfully, my house is just around the corner so I have an excuse to walk faster so that she doesn't see my flustered face. "Let's go."

We reach my house and I open the door as Y/n finishes her rant on her hatred of math. I'm instantly blessed with the smell of the fish my mom made for dinner as soon as I walk in. I put my slippers in before making my way to the dining table.

"Kenjiro!" I hear a call as I sit by the table. I turn to see Y/n's pouty face again. She walks up to me with a bit of a frown. "Why didn't you wait for me?"

(I just realize Y/n sounds like a pick-me in that paragraph. Sorry y'all 😅)

"There's fish for dinner, mom's specialty." Her eyes immediately brighten up at my words and she sits beside me. I find it adorable when that happens.

"Welcome back you two," mom greets as she appears out of nowhere. She places the dish on the table while both me and Y/n stare at it. "How was the park?"

"Y/n missed all of my tosses," I respond bluntly which makes Y/n snap her head to me. When I turn to look at her as well, she's glaring at me, but I raise a brow. "You did."

"Yeah but..." she falters before sighing in defeat. "I did."

I turn back to my mom who gives me an unimpressed look. I internally groan before patting my best friend's hair. "You did your best, you did great."

I ignore whatever expression she makes while putting some fish on my plate. I add some rice and whatever else I want that's on the table. My mom and Y/n do the same.

There is silence at the dinner table, a comfortable one, not awkward. Y/n is happily stuffing her face with my mom's delicious food which makes the older one chuckle.

But the silence is interrupted by a soft knock on the door. I ignore and so does my best friend while my mom gets up from her seat to open it. "Oh, hey," I can hear my mom say from the door.

Y/n's about to take another big bite of rice when we hear familiar voices from the door. "Would you mind if we speak to Y/n? It'll only be a moment." Why're her parents here? Isn't she supposed to stay over tonight?

Mom let's them in and they appear in the doorway. Y/n gets up, shooting a confused look at me, before walking to her parents. She goes into a different room while Mom sits back down at the table.