forty | the final choice

THE ONE WITH THE FINAL CHOICE

"We shouldn't have done that."

Though, there was no point in saying the words as there was no going back now. Zara felt sick, but seeing Chandler's face drop from what she had said, only made it worse.

Ignoring what the kiss had made Zara feel, she was suddenly focused on Joey — who was her boyfriend. Already the tears prickled her eyes, knowing she had ruined something pure.

"Woah, don't cry," said Chandler, where his fingers briefly reached out to touch her as if to comfort her, but they fell, knowing it was crossing the line again. "Please don't cry."

"Joey, Chandler," Zara reminded him.

"I know, I know," Chandler replied, panicking like Zara was. "It didn't happen then, okay? You're right, we shouldn't have done that. You shouldn't have done that."

"Me?" Zara questioned, trying to keep her voice quiet as she didn't want to wake up her roommates. "You were the one that kissed me!"

"Because you forced me to tell you how I feel!" Chandler bit back. "Why would you do that?"

"I..." Zara was speechless, staring at him with wide eyes, but she was afraid that the more she spoke, the more hurt Joey would be. "I don't know."

"You don't know?" Chandler repeated, clearly hurt now too as Zara couldn't win. "So, this? What was the point? You got the truth out of me and I kissed you. And now you don't know."

All Zara needed was to hear the truth. Zara couldn't believe it until it had come from Chandler's lips. But, now she had the truth — and a kiss — so now it was enough fuel for everything to burn down around Zara.

Why did she need to hear the truth?

Chandler let out a huff, shaking his head. "And to think, I used to question why I ever doubted love. If this is it, then maybe I was right to avoid it."

"What do you want me to say?" Zara replied, finding herself angry now. "I'm with Joey, Chandler. We made things official tonight."

"You... what?" Chandler's face paled. "I didn't know that. You shouldn't have pressured me like that! I-I thought you were... I don't know what I thought, but it wasn't this! I wouldn't do this to Joey. He's my best friend."

"I didn't know you were going to kiss me!" Zara's voice rose.

"What did you expect?" Chandler shouted, standing up as he was quick to pick up his pillow and covers. "You know, this was cruel, Zara, even for you."

"I just wanted to know the truth," Zara whispered, feeling her heart crack.

"Yeah, well, now you know," said Chandler, sounding so cruel himself that wasn't like him. "And I hope it was worth it. Joey's going to hate us."