one | zara moves in

♡

THE ONE WHERE ZARA MOVES IN.
EPISODE ONE.

It felt a little weird moving in somewhere without Derek. The two had been together for not even two years with Zara having believed that Derek could have been the one, but Derek had other plans, apparently. Now, here she was moving in with her old college roommate, who was downstairs waiting for Zara in some coffee house.

Zara reached for her leather jacket, frowning at herself in her new bedroom mirror before she left. Monica had offered to stay, but Zara had needed a moment to adjust to her new living situation. Of course, she adored Monica, but Zara hadn't thought she'd ever need a roommate again.

"Zara! Come meet everyone!" Monica said upon seeing Zara enter Central Perk — the coffee house that Monica tended to hang out often. Her hand snatched Zara's, grinning widely as she stared back at the other three. "Guys, this is my new roommate Zara. We used to go to college together."

"Hey," said Zara, offering them a smile.

Monica pulled Zara down to sit with her on the sofa, knowing that Zara was one to put on a stony expression but to be anxious on the inside.

"Hi," answered one, nodding his head. "Chandler Bing."

"Phoebe Buffay," the blonde smiled warmly from where she sat on the floor, offering a cheery wave. 

Zara's eyes slid to the last, widening.

"Hey," he smirked, eyeing Zara with a twinkle in his eye. "How you doing?"

"Joey!" Monica complained.

How you doing?

After all this time, Zara couldn't believe it. A siren echoed in her mind, recalling who exactly Joey was. Zara was furious, hoping that her anger was enough to cover the embarrassment that she still felt from that night.

"You!"

Chandler smiled, facing his friend. "Oh boy, Joey. What did you do?"

"Me?" Joey's eyes widened. "I don't know! What did I do?"

Monica's mouth fell open, looking from Joey to Zara. "No! Not that Joey?"

But Zara doesn't need to say anything as Joey's face transitioned from disbelief to pure horror that caused Zara's stomach to churn. He knew exactly who she was. "You!" Joey said, and then turned to his friend Chandler. Great so did he know too? "It's her!"

"I can see that," said Chandler. "I need just a tad more."

Zara laughed harshly, crossing her arms across her chest. "I'm surprised you even remember, Joey."

"Oh, believe me, I do," he reassured her, not that it was reassuring.

"Oh..." Chandler realised, smiling to himself. "Her. Zara. Yes, I'm with it now."