nine | being vulnerable

♡

THE ONE WITH BEING VULNERABLE.
EPISODE EIGHTEEN.

Zara bumped into Phoebe and Monica outside of the coffee house, where the two greeted their friend with a smile. With spring break approaching, Zara was rather busy getting the reports sorted for the children's parents to see, which meant that she was losing time on her novel.

"Let me help," Phoebe offered, taking stacks of papers from Zara.

"Are you working again tonight?" Monica asked.

"Thank you, Pheebs," said Zara, gratefully. "Yeah, but it'll calm down once spring break starts. It'll be nice to have some time off work."

Phoebe grinned. "Got any plans with your new man?"

Zara averted her gaze. "Not really as it's nothing serious with Teddy."

"Will we ever get to meet your new boyfriend?" Monica questioned.

"If Teddy meets you, then it feels real, and I don't want that."

Monica frowned. "Zar, are you sure this is what you want?"

"After Derek... I can't give myself like that to someone again," Zara admitted. "I don't want to end up hurt again."

"Sweetie, Derek never deserved you," Monica told her.

"Yeah," Phoebe agreed. "Screw Derek. There's someone so much better for you out there, Zara. I have faith that you'll find them."

"Thank you," Zara smiled. "In a strange way, I'm grateful for Derek hurting me. If he hadn't, then I would never have moved in with you, Monica, or have met you, Phoebe."

"I love living with you, Zar," Monica confessed.

"And I love that I met you," Phoebe added. "I feel like this deserves a hug."

Zara laughed as the three squished together to hug with the papers that Zara was holding crinkling between them. Maybe Zara was starting to see that Derek bailing on their future was a good thing; without it, Zara would not be where she was now.

Then, the three headed inside as they greeted both Ross and Chandler, who were sitting by the window, reading the newspaper. Catching Chandler's gaze, Zara shot him a wink as the five friends greeted each other.

"Hi, ladies," Rachel joined them by the sofa. "Can I get you anything? Did you read the mail?"

Zara eyed Monica, who held Rachel's letters. Recently, Rachel had decided that she was going to look for a new job elsewhere.

"Lots of responses," said Monica.

"Really?" Rachel questioned. "Sure, we have scones left," then she concentrated on the three again. "Okay, read them to me."