seventeen | moving on

♡

THE ONE WITH THE MOVING ON.
EPISODE TWELVE.

For winter, it was cold as Zara had hidden herself in the coffee house for a while before the rest of her friends came in. Though, making things awkward, Chandler had been the first to arrive, where the two spotted each other, leaving her ex-boyfriend no option but to flee.

"Uh, hi," said Chandler.

"Hey," Zara replied, frowning as Chandler continued to hover. "You can sit down, you know?"

"Right, right," Chandler said, keeping his hands in his pocket. "I was, uh, gonna get a drink first. Did you want...?"

Zara forced a smile. "I already have a coffee, thanks."

Chandler nodded his head a little too quickly before he was heading towards the counter, giving Zara a moment to pray that someone else would turn up. Unfortunately, for the two, it was just them as Chandler sunk down in the chair rather than sitting on the sofa next to Zara.

While it was for the best, it still felt strange.

"So...still writing?" Chandler questioned.

"Almost finished," Zara told him.

"That's amazing," said Chandler with an honest smile.

"It will be once it's done," Zara agreed. "How... are you doing?"

"Uh...Good, yeah, good," Chandler rushed out, stumbling over his words that triggered a frown. "Apparently, I can't talk, though...or find a joke to make."

Zara smiled, knowing it was awkward being alone together. All she could think of in her mind was the thousands of moments together like this: never sat apart, always stealing a glance or even finding some small way to touch — even when it had been a secret. Seeing him now, Zara longed for how things had once been.

Maybe Chandler was thinking the same as he couldn't bring himself to look at her either.

Zara's heart screamed from missing him, but there was only silence.

Fortunately for the two, the rest of their friends started joining them in the coffee house, sparing them from any more forced small talk. One day, Zara hoped they would be back to being close friends again.

"Hey, hey," Joey hurried in, greeting them. "Check it out. Guess what I got!"

"Rhythm?" Chandler guessed.

"No," Joey answered. "My first fan mail!"

There was a positive response to that as everyone wanted to read. Next to Zara, Monica was handed the letter as Zara leaned close to read over her shoulder.