Chapter 36

As Russell meticulously sewed up the back of my neck, his movements precise yet heavy with contemplation, he spoke with a sigh that conveyed more than just fatigue. "After the execution, we discovered more graffiti," he began, his voice laced with a mixture of frustration and concern. "It seems the dissent is spreading, likely fueled by those escaped prisoners. The kind of poison they're spreading through their words... it's dangerous."

He paused, his hands steady despite the gravity of his words. "One of them has already killed Simone," he continued, a hint of bitterness creeping into his tone. "If we don't contain this situation, they are going to come for all of us. The people's faith in us could waver."

I could feel the tension in the air as he spoke, the unspoken fear of losing control over Sanctum palpable in his voice. It was clear that the actions of the rebels were having an impact, sowing seeds of doubt and unrest among the populace. Internally, I felt a mix of satisfaction and apprehension. The rebels' efforts were working, but Russell's growing concern also meant increased danger for everyone involved. As I lay there, feeling the pull of the thread through my skin, I knew we were walking a razor's edge. Any misstep could have catastrophic consequences for both our plans and the people of Sanctum.

Throughout the entire operation, my gaze was inexorably drawn to Madi. There she was, physically so close yet emotionally worlds apart, lying unconscious and vulnerable. The sight of her in this state tugged at my heart, igniting a fierce protective instinct. I had to constantly remind myself to stay in character, to suppress the rising tide of emotion threatening to break through. I was acutely aware that any lapse in my façade could spell disaster for us all. If I wavered now, if I let my true feelings show, it wouldn't just be my life at stake – Madi's safety, along with that of our allies, hung precariously in the balance. As Russell prepared to start the procedure, my attention shifted momentarily to the jar collecting Madi's bone marrow. When the procedure began, it was only about a third full, but now it was approaching the halfway mark. The jar was a stark, physical representation of the price she was paying, each increment a measure of her suffering. I felt a surge of anger and helplessness at the situation, at the exploitation of her innocence for such a macabre purpose. Yet, I masked these emotions, maintaining my composed exterior. Inside, I made a silent vow to do everything in my power to end this nightmare, to save Madi and the others from the clutches of the Primes' twisted ambitions.

Russell, his hands still busy with the procedure, spoke with a sense of urgency and determination. "The rebellion is at a tipping point. We must crush it tonight and restore order. Once our people see all of us Primes returned at once, they will realize the futility of their resistance. They will fall to their knees in awe and submission."

The cold, calculated nature of his words sent a chill down my spine. Russell's vision of subjugation and control was a stark reminder of what we were fighting against — a regime that saw people as pawns to be manipulated for their own ends. His words also echoed a truth I was all too aware of — the delicate balance of power in Sanctum was indeed on the brink. The rebellion, our rebellion, was gaining ground, but it was also dangerously close to being snuffed out. Amidst these reflections, a thought involuntarily flashed through my mind, fueled by a mix of anger and desperation: "We should've killed you first." The idea of eliminating Russell as a key to dismantling the Primes' power was a tempting one, but it was also fraught with moral and practical complexities. My resolve hardened. This encounter, this moment with Russell, only reaffirmed the necessity of our mission. We needed to dismantle this oppressive system, to prevent more innocent lives from being ensnared in the Primes' twisted machinations. Madi, and all those like her, deserved a chance at a life free from the fear and manipulation that Russell and his kind represented.

As I looked over, I realized Madi had awakened. Her eyes, wide and alert, were locked onto mine. The effort to maintain my disguise intensified; I bit down hard on my tongue to prevent any instinctive, revealing words from escaping. Every muscle in my body tensed, aching to reach out to her, to offer comfort and reassurance. In her eyes, I saw the welling of tears, each one a silent testament to the turmoil and fear she must have endured. The vulnerability and confusion reflected in her gaze struck me to the core. What had the news of my "death" done to her? How had it shattered her world, and what horrors had she faced in my absence? The sight of her struggling to hold back tears was almost unbearable. It was a harsh reminder of the impact our actions had on those we cared about, the unintended consequences that rippled out from our choices.