Chapter 39

Cass's voice was laced with confusion and disbelief as she kept her gun trained on us. "Kegan, Abby, what are you doing?" she questioned, her tone demanding an explanation.

Indra, ever perceptive, scrutinized me closely before turning to Cass. "That's not Kegan and Abby," she stated firmly, her instincts kicking in.

I couldn't help but smile mockingly, playing my part to the fullest. "Very good," I said, feigning admiration. "Seems we got our nightblood despite what I'm told you did with Kane. Now you have three seconds to stand down, or I'll—"

"Or what?" Indra challenged, her voice steady and unyielding. "If you kill them, we kill you. You didn't think this through."

Her challenge forced me to escalate the situation. I took a sharp breath and moved the gun to the side of Gaia's head. "1...2..." I began counting, hoping to force their hand.

"Weapons down," Indra ordered, her voice commanding the respect she had earned. As I inched the gun closer to Gaia's head, the guards, along with Cass, hesitantly set their guns down on the ground.

With the weapons lowered, I removed the gun from Gaia's temple and shot Indra a cocky smile, still in character. "Told ya," I said, turning to Russell. "Kegan's memories may suck, but they do come in handy."

The moment was fraught with tension, a delicate dance of bluff and counter-bluff. Every action, every word, was a calculated risk, a step in the intricate ballet of deception we were performing. Our allies, now momentarily disarmed, looked on with a mix of confusion and realization. The standoff had been a high-stakes gamble, and for now, it seemed we had won this round. But the game was far from over. The balance of power was constantly shifting, and we needed to stay one step ahead if we were to outwit Russell and Simone and secure our friends' safety.

The situation now under our precarious control, we proceeded with the next phase of our plan. We quickly unloaded Raven, Gaia, Madi, and Jackson from the ship, maintaining the ruse of their captivity. Each step was calculated, each movement choreographed to keep up the façade in front of Russell and his loyalists. Indra, understanding the gravity of the situation, led the way to the mess hall. Her presence was commanding, her every step exuding the authority and resilience that had always defined her. Despite the uncertainty of our circumstances, her confidence was a steadying force for us all.

The Prime's guards moved with purpose, entering the mess hall first. Their presence was intimidating, a reminder of the power and control they wielded. They efficiently cleared a space in the room, ensuring there was ample area for the unfolding events. Their movements were precise, a well-rehearsed routine born of strict discipline and training. As we filed into the room, the tension was palpable. The mess hall, usually a place of communal gathering and nourishment, had transformed into a makeshift holding area, a stage for the next act in our high-stakes rebellion.

I kept a watchful eye on our group, acutely aware of the risks involved in every action we took. The trust and lives of our friends were in our hands, and the pressure to maintain our deceitful performance was immense. Yet, amidst the tension, there was a sense of unity and purpose. We were united in our goal to dismantle the Primes' regime and to restore freedom to Sanctum's people. Every glance, every whisper, every subtle gesture among us was part of a larger strategy, a silent communication of our plans and intentions. We were a team operating in unison against a common enemy, each of us playing our part in the intricate dance of rebellion and resistance.

Simone, her tone dripping with malice, kept the gun pressed to Raven's head. "How many more of you are awake?" she demanded, her eyes scanning the room for any sign of deceit.

"None," Indra responded, her voice firm and unwavering despite the palpable threat.

Simone narrowed her eyes, skeptical of Indra's claim. "Are you sure?" she pressed. "We're going to sweep the ship. Anyone we find dies, and for each of them, so does one of you. Care to amend your answer?"