Chapter 30

Confusion and frustration swirled in my mind as I tried to make sense of our situation. Chained and disoriented, I wondered, where the hell were we? And why were we being held captive? Despite everything, I had to admit, Joseph's resilience was impressive. But even he had to sleep eventually, and that could be our opportunity. Suddenly, a familiar voice cut through the confusion. "We have a prisoner that claims that Primes can now create hosts." It was Bellamy. My heart raced. Why was he here, and what was he doing alone with Joseph?

"Radios don't work on this moon. How could they not know that?" Bellamy's voice was filled with skepticism, his presence bringing a surge of hope.

Joseph replied with a hint of resignation, "They work in one place," an unexpected confession that piqued my curiosity.

Bellamy pressed on, determined. "What is it?" His tone was demanding, seeking answers.

"If they're calling him, that means he's alive," Joseph sighed, a complex mix of emotions in his voice.

Bellamy, seemingly trying to understand the twisted dynamics at play, asked, "What's the deal with you two?"

Joseph's response was laced with a dark, ironic humor. "What? Are we gonna be friends now?"

"Doubtful," Bellamy retorted, his skepticism clear.

The air was thick with tension as Joseph revealed, "I've been in love with Gabriel for 236 years, the last 70 of which he's been trying to kill me. You know, relationships." His words were a blend of sarcasm and truth, painting a picture of a long, tumultuous history.

—... | ——— | ——— / .... | ——— | ———

Joseph let out a weary sigh, a hint of reluctant admiration in his voice. "Morse code, huh? He's crafty, I'll give him that. B-o-o... H-o-o. That's harsh."

The realization dawned on Bellamy. "He can hear us?"

"It would seem so," Joseph confirmed with a note of resignation. "Which means the barrier between our minds is nearly gone. When it fully collapses, he'll stroke out, I'll download, and your genocidal friend will be no more."

Bellamy's voice was insistent, laced with a sense of urgency. "Let me talk to him."

Joseph's response was firm, tinged with a sense of finality. "I'd have to relinquish control for that, so no."

"But he can hear me," Bellamy pressed, searching for some sliver of connection.

"Yes, he can hear you," Joseph sighed, a trace of annoyance in his tone. "For God's sake, just say what you need to say."

Bellamy slid down the wall, his voice heavy with emotion. "I won't let you die," he murmured, more to himself than to anyone else.

In the silence of my mind, I sent a silent message back, full of determination and concern. Your dumbass better not die trying to protect me. Madi needs you, and so do the others. Bellamy's words seemed to echo in the void as Joseph's eyes bore into the side of his head, a silent but intense scrutiny.

"My father was a fool for letting your people stay," Joseph mused, a tinge of bitterness in his voice. "He spent all that time building a sanctuary for the human race, only to destroy it for the most human thing of all—love." A sardonic smile played on his lips. "I mean, who can blame him? I am pretty awesome. But just look at you. He should have seen how this would end. I suppose I'm saying all this because now, I know so much about you."

From my position, chained and helpless, I watched the exchange between Joseph and Bellamy with a mix of resignation and faint amusement. Joseph, ever the provocateur, was needling Bellamy about our tumultuous past. "Hmm, you do, huh?" Bellamy retorted, his skepticism barely veiling his annoyance.