Chapter 14: If only...

Before he can continue further, I hear the horn and he steps back and goes to his former seat as Laura enters the house I couldn't be more grateful for her interruption.

"Oh, Laura! What a pleasant day. We were just talking about you. How are you, darling?"
My father says, with so much sweetness I can't believe he is the same man who stood in front of me mere seconds ago.

She side-hugs me as a greeting and moves towards my father.

"I am absolutely fine. How are you? Amira didn't tell me that you were back"
Laura replies, hugging my father.

He hugges her back.

"I am good, darling. Well, that's because I didn't inform her about my arrival. I  wanted to surprise my sweet daughter."
He informs her, smoothly.

"That's lovely! I hope I didn't interrupt the father-daughter time. I thought we could have a sleepover after the Arcade but we can cancel that."
Laura mutters, looking guilty and glum.

My heart stops at the fact that Laura is trying to cancel our plan altogether out of politeness of her heart when all I want to do is get out of this hell hole as soos as I can.

"No, you didn't honey. You could never interrupt. You are my daughter too, aren't you?  And you don't have to cancel the sleepover. I have some urgent things to take care of at the company after being away for a few weeks. I was just keeping my sweetheart company until your arrival."
Matthew tells.

My heart starts functioning again.

"Oh! You are right. Okay then, we will take our leave. See you, Uncle Matthew!"
Laura says, waving at my father with one hand and dragging me towards the door with the other.

"See you too, honey. Drive safe. Don't be out too late."
Matthew chimes, like a dutiful father.

If only he was really concerned about my wellbeing.

But I don't miss the warning glare he sends my way as the door closes.

"So........."
Laura drags on, trying to let me know that whatever she is going to say, I might not like it.

"What is it?"
I question, not liking where this is going after the day that I have had.

"I might have called the boys to the arcade as well."
She rushes out, in a hurry that it takes me some time to understand what she just said.

"No, you didn't."
I bitterly say, Arden and Arnold, I wouldn't mind having their company, at all, I love them. But Aslan on the other hand, I don't think I can handle being with another man who makes me feel all small and reminds me of my shortcomings.

"Come on, Amy. It wouldn't be a lot of fun had it been just you and me. And you how the saying goes, the more the merrier."
She tries to coax me, giving her puppy dog eyes I am sure had you been in my place you would fall off the bridge if she asks you to do so. God, She is precious, I love her to bits and pieces.
Laura is a sister in disguise of a bestfriend. And I feel blessed to have her in my life.

"Okay, if you say so."
I begrudgingly say.

"You are the best, muah, muah,muah."
She says pouting her lips like people do when giving a peck and makes kiss-y noises.

"Alright, alright. That's enough for today."
I say seeming disinterested while rolling my eyes but I can't stop the smile breaking free on my face.

Laura starts laughing out loud at that.
Showcasing her pearly white teeths.
She has an oval shaped face and thin lips that are always painted shades of pink. Her ears are slightly bigger, something she is insecure about and hence keeps her wavy brown locks open to cover them up.

Laura sits behind the wheels and I take the passenger seat as she starts the engine and says,
"Let's goo......"

And off we go to the Arcade.