Chapter 4: Possessive

ASLAN WERNER.

Present.

Amira Sinclair.

The only girl who gets under my skin like no one else does.

I have known her all my life, our fathers went to Ashford High too along with Arnold's and Arden's father and have been friends ever since.

Amira's mom left her family and ran away with her lover leaving 5 years old Amira behind which is why mom feels obliged to be there for her as her godmother and treats her as the daughter she never got to have.

As kids, Ma always cooked extra dinner and either called her over or have me or one of the drivers, deliver it to her. She still does.

The cheesecake in my car is the proof.

And I got so fed up with it, that a few years back I simply let Arnold or Arden eat it because I was done playing her delivery boy.

Until, of course, One-day when mom asked her if she liked the pasta she sent for her and it didn't take much for someone smart like Amira to put two and two together and find out about it all.

It was one of the rare times when I saw an unknown emotion swirl in her eyes which usually have fire in them.

Not like I care!

Ma always takes her shopping and buys her shoes and make-up and whatnot. As if Amira is her very own daughter.

Ma has always wanted a girl but she had some complications after my birth which resulted in her not being able to conceive.

Whenever she discovers something in purple colour. She always buys it for Amira. Since it's her favourite colour.

Like the mug, she bought for her when we went to Rome, a few years back, it read, "Never question my purpleness".

Back then, I hated her for stealing my mother's attention and love.

Hear me out, I thought,
'it's not like it was my fault that Amira's mom left her and ran away. Then why do I have to share my mother with her?'

I was possessive of my mother but then again what kind of 6-year-old kid isn't?

My father doesn't so much as let another man breathe in Ma's direction.
That's how we, Werner men are.

Possessive.

It's in the blood.

We protect what's ours and we are not good at sharing.

Although now, I know that my mom's love for me is infinite and irreplaceable, and she treats Amira nicely because of the kindness of her heart.
Their relationship doesn't bother me as much. Okay, just a teeny tiny bit, I guess.

Possessive.

Now, I hate Amira because of the ungrateful human that she is.

She is never happy with what she has, she always craves for more like the spoiled princess that she is!

Amira holds second rank in all of Ashford yet instead of being grateful she is always trying to surpass me and secure first rank.

There is nothing wrong with competition.
Wanting to be the best.

As someone who plays Basketball, I am competitive and I like people who know what they want and fight to achieve it. But competition needs to be healthy and one should respect one's self and his/her opponent.

That is not what Amira does
She wants to secure the first place so bad she doesn't care about her health and wellbeing at all. The eyebags she dons during the entire exam week is proof that she doesn't sleep a wink. Sometimes, I wonder if she even spares herself a few minutes to eat or not. Throughout that time, she looks like a living corpse, I swear.

That's not competitiveness, that's called obsession.

She is a thief! As kids, she tried her best to steal my place in my mother's heart and now she is trying her best to steal my first place in school.

And because of this, I vowed to myself, that for as long as I live, I will make sure Amira never steals my place and comes first. Ever.

Ranks don't matter to me but Amira is the reason I take my studies seriously.
Just to witness look on her face every time she sees the scoreboard and comes to realise that yet again she hasn't surpassed me.
Witnessing the way she fists her hands and her cheeks turn the darkest shade of scarlet with fury is worth the all-nighters I pull to study.