Chapter 23- Epilogue- "Dear Child"

This is the original ending epilogue...

Special dedication to: @xStylzx, @BriannaThornton6, @SimplyObnoxious_x, @Nevermind_MP, @sws_182, and @dearest-niall.

I hope you enjoy!

---

[200 years later]

[Modern day]

It was weird, living in such a different world when memories of when we were still pirates still resided in our minds. We had discovered many years back that the 'cure' didn't work, it only led to immortality. I guess in a way we were all very disappointed, but we were also quite happy that we wouldn't change even when the world around us had.

We had been there when America was first found, and when both wars had broken out because of it. Both civil wars- they had still been a part of the British nation when the war had begun, and the war with the north and south. We had been there when World War 1 and 2 had happened, fighting valiantly for the Americas as odd as it seemed.

All the while, with my family by my side. Harry and I had our disagreements, and a lot of the time I thought he would leave me, find someone else that would make him happy, but he stayed, and I was more than grateful for that. We had fallen in love, and now, in this new day and age, we can be married.

Louis and Liam just so happened to fall in love, and it was a beautiful thing to see. Liam says he still loves Zayn, and that Zayn will always be a part of him, Louis doesn't mind though. Zayn is a part of all of us. He will forever be a part of us.

We had thought that as the world around us changed, we would stay the same. I've come to learn that that's not true, there is no way that change doesn't affect you. We've all seen things that we wish we hadn't, experienced things that make us think, dream, pray.

There have been dark days, but with dark days came the opportunity to see the stars. We learned from the mistakes we made, we learned from the mistakes others have made. We aren't pirates anymore, but we still have the memories.

You can't fight change, sometimes you just have to go with the flow. The world doesn't stop turning for anyone, and sometimes you just have to hike up your trousers and keep moving.

With life there are always good times and bad times, you don't get to pick and choose. I've had both, and I wouldn't trade them in for the world. We've been shaped, molded into who we are, but we are still the same pirates that terrorized the seas all those years ago, but we are also the people who've gotten more freedoms in this world.

There were times when living were just not worth it, being beaten because I loved another man. Even today, there are times that who I love means a slur or a hit, but I fight back, and I'm not ashamed. I'd take a million hits for Harry, I'd take a bullet to the heart, or a slur any day if I have him. He's the light at the end of the tunnel, even when we fight.

We haven't split, like we were scared would happen. The crew still stays strong, we are still as close as ever even with all the time that has passed and the events that have tried to pull us apart.

I suppose it just comes to show how much love can overcome.

Several centuries ago, I was considered dark hearted, cruel, evil but I was human then and I'm human now. Life changes perspectives, love prevails. The human race was proof enough of that.

We've had wars, genocides, hate crimes, murders, abuse, bullying, and cruelty just to name a few. But we've overcome all that, we've done some amazing things too. Through all of this I've learned, when its dark just look for the stars, when it rains, you can expect a rainbow. The fight makes you stronger, the lesson a little longer than you first anticipated it to be, but it's something you'll carry for the rest of your life, much like I have in mine.

It just so happens we've found a cure, I've grown tired of seeing my friends and loved ones grow old and frail and die before me. I'm ready to leave, I'm ready to die, with my beautiful husband at my side.

There are so many great things in this world, you just have to stop focusing on the bad. The hardest battles are saved for the strongest soldiers.

I've learned this too in my life.

So, dear child, do not mourn our deaths, but rather celebrate life.

Learn lessons, fight battles, be strong.

And always remember that a little faith goes a long way, and love can overcome anything.

We have lived our lives, and it's time that you do to.

Forever and always,

Niall James Horan and Harry Edward Horan, your parents xxxx.

-----

So, I hope this epilogue reaches your standards.

If you're confused, their writing to their child- they adopted a child and now that he/she has grown to a good age they have decided to finally die.

It's a letter to not only share all they've gone through, but also inspire their child and let them know that no one is ever truly alone.

I hope this was good, so leave some feedback on it for me?

As much as I think that an alternate ending epilogue would be fun, I also think that where I left off in the alternate ending serves it purpose. You get to decide if he achieves his goal, if he falls in love again, or if he decides to follow Niall. You also get to decide if they find each other in the afterlife -if there is one- or if they search forever for one another but never find each other. You decide their fate.

With this, Dark Hearted is officially over.

Thank you- each and every single one of you- for your votes and comments and reads and ideas and time. You are all incredible, never forget that.

I still am undecided on which story to start next: Capes or Monster. So help me out by voting? I'll start the new story on Friday, so all the votes from this chapter and last chapter will be tallied and the story will then be written then. The story with the most commented votes on both chapters will be the one I start.

I'll have a thank you page, and then, this story will officially be marked complete and I will cry.

I love you all,

Val xxx