The waitress took our order and strolled away, her short ponytail swaying with her steps. I liked this restaurant. It served delicious breakfast options and wasn't pompous or fancy.

"How's work?" I asked then, genuinely curious about it.

My father had his own office in the Jeon company and a new assistant. I wondered how he was coping with the organizing since he had been used to the way I handled things before I moved out. I hadn't done much, but he had always appreciated my help.

"I still need a bit of adjustment because, being a large company, they have different expectations than our law firm, but I'm getting along fine," he replied. "It's a little different than I was used to, though."

"You've always been good at your job, I'm sure you'll do well there too." I encouraged him and he nodded in appreciation.

Then he pressed his lips into a firm line, his eyes now looking a bit sadder. I knew what that meant. But we both also knew it was the course of life. If you had kids, you knew they would eventually leave.

"I miss you, honey. I'm sorry I was so unfair to you in the beginning. And—"

His next words tingled in my head before he uttered them, but I stopped him. This reunion wasn't for talking about past mistakes. We needed to look forward.

"I know, I miss you too," I said instead. He had to know what I felt deep inside and that our feelings were mutual.

"Come here," he murmured, holding out his arm. I grinned before sliding over to him on the leather seat and he placed his hand firmly on my shoulder. He kissed my temple. Then he sighed deeply. "It's almost that time of year."

I hated to admit it, but I hadn't seen those words coming. They made me tense, but I tried not to show any of it.

"Yeah," I muttered.

I felt his eyes on me, so I looked up at him. "Do you want to go together? Like we always have."

Swallowing down the lump in my throat, I forced a smile. "Of course."

─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────

Staring out of the balcony, I observed the clear sky. It had rained a lot in the last few days, but today the stars were showing. Jungkook was in his study doing whatever he usually did, which I had never bothered to ask. So I decided to go up to the roof.

Dinner was thankfully over so I decided not to take my phone with me and instead left it plugged into the charger. A jacket was needed to protect me from the cold wind though, so I grabbed one from the closet.

I walked down the hall but paused in front of the stairs leading up to the roof when I heard music echoing through the quiet house. It was piano sounds that filled my ears, coming from the music room below.

Knowing who the player was, I leaned my back against the wall. I had never interrupted, knowing he liked his privacy. Yoongi was sometimes an enigma, but most of the time you could get a word or two out of him.

Melody, so gentle yet so soulful continued to reach me. It was crazy how much you could express with a few keys, how much they could convey your feelings for you. No wonder there was even a form of therapy that worked with music because it really fed the soul sometimes.

Not once did his fingers slip as he blessed my evening with Hans Zimmer's masterpiece before expertly bringing the piece to completion. I waited, too curious to continue my way to the roof without having found out if he would play another piece.