Chapter 23: A Mess.

Jessica pov

I don't get it. I really, don't. Why did he choose them? Why did Isaiah choose the people that never hurt him, and said I'll make sure they get hurt. Its fucking dumb--it all is! Plus, what kind of fucking 90's cliche are you in to tell that to my face? That was kind of embarrassing for him, but like, ughh. People like him make me want to bomb the planet I swear.

Thomas and Rae, despite all their differences, connect surprisingly well, it's like opposites attract situations. It's pretty cute, and I think they suit each other nicely. They're cute, and by the looks of it, they also deserve each other. Rae should never end up with someone like Isaiah. Never. I literally don't think I could face her if she pulled some shit like that.

"So, dinner was great, um--thank you guys for having me!" I managed to spit out.

Thomas chuckled, "thank you! You did invite us out, after all, I had a great time." He politely replied before placing a big kiss on Rae's cheek, making her giggle. PDA's gross, but I guess it's fine since it's just them.

"Oh, pfft yeah it's no problem. Um, Rae can I talk to you though?" I said in a nice tone, but with warning eyes.
She took a few seconds to process it.

"Yeah. Um, Thomas, I'll be inside in a few minutes."

The taller boy gave us both a subtle concerning glance, but just gently smiled and walked into the house.

"Okay," she nervously chuckled, "so what's all this about?"

I looked at her, she was so expecting yet I knew she wasn't ready enough for what I was about to say. I opened my mouth to say it, to tell her, to let her know that Isaiah is using her, that he doesn't even like her anymore, and that he's a total fucking asshole if she needed a reminder!

But nothing came out of my mouth.
No words.
Absolutely fucking nothing.
It wasn't even that I didn't want to tell her because I really fucking do it's just that I..can't. I cant bring myself to tell her, and then I have to explain everything and hurt her, just like Isaiah wants to do.

"Jess?"

"Oh--yeah--pfft sorry um, I had like the hugest fucking brain fart right now but uhh," I pinched the bridge of my nose searching for something new to say. I can't tell her. She'll learn one way or another but I can't break her. I can't do it. "Oh yeah uh, I just wanted to ask how you and Thomas are doing?" I rushed out.

"Uh, are you sure that's what you wanted to ask?" She hesitantly asked while nervously gliding her hand on the back of her neck. "You can ask or tell me anything, you know that right? Communication is key."

"Yeah, obviously," I playfully scoffed, "I was just wondering though because you guys look so fucking happy together but you guys aren't even dating."

Her face lit up at the mention of them being happy. I could feel my heart sink like it was losing its breath and drowning slowly whilst descending to the very bottom of a deep black ocean of sorrow.

You'd wonder why I care so much, but I don't even know. I barely know Thomas, and I've only been friends with Rae since August. You'd say it's whatever, they're just another normal high school couple. But they're not. Maybe it's because I don't have at they have, and what they have looks so pure and special that I want to protect it.
Fuck, the way they look at each other when another looks away..like they long for each other's touch, but not even in a sexual way, more like a reassuring one. Like the way they carefully examine each other with full admiration and love, and get shy when the other notices. How can someone see something so pure and have intentions of ruining it?

She slightly chuckled and looked back into the house before returning her gaze to me, "Yeah, I know. I mean, I think it's gonna happen soon, you know when we become official." She gently added while tracing small circles on the back of her hand, something I realized that he usually does for her.