Chapter XIII

(AKA the finale. The end of this story... for now. It's long, so pace yourself!)

________________________________________________________________________________

Marinette/Ladybug P.O.V.

I never wanted any of this to happen, and I'm to blame for getting captured in the first place. But being safe from Hawk Moth is the greatest gift. The only thing making it better is my partner right here at my side, my Miraculous now in my hands. I thought I had lost them forever.

The only problem is... it's not over.

Cat Noir still looks worried, pacing back and forth as I slip on my earrings. Tikki emerges and gasps, hugging my face. "Marinette!"

"Tikki... I'm so glad you're safe," I whisper, holding her in my good hand. My shoulder is still throbbing relentlessly. I'm not sure I could do anything if I transformed.

Cat Noir, finger pressed to his earpiece, mumbles, "It was a trick?" A pause. "Non, just get out of there-- quickly!" He whips around to face me, looking panicked.

"What is it?" I whisper.

"It was a trick-- the illusions are gone, they need backup... I need you to stay hidden here, M'Lady." He swallows, backing up. "You'll be okay?"

I nod, motioning to my Miraculous-- he exhales softly, meeting my eyes briefly for reassurance, and when he sees that I'm confident, he hurries out. Leaning back, I try to calm myself entirely. It's not like they can capture me again... I won't be caught off guard. But still, I can't help but fear for Cat Noir and the others-- if I was captured, they can be, too. Or hurt, hurt badly.

The dome around the city is cutting off air flow-- before long, everyone may end up dead from asphyxiation, if there aren't enough oxygen producers to sustain everyone. It's not likely. And even then, there's the temperature, which has steadily dropped due to lack of direct sunlight. It's freezing even in here, and my fingers are numb as I struggle to get up and cross to a window.

"I have no idea what's going on down there," I whisper to Tikki. "I... I have to do something, though."

"Marinette, you don't need to do anything. You're injured and you were just rescued from Hawk Moth!" she protests. "Just wait here like Cat Noir said."

"I know where the akuma is." My eyes widen. "And they need me to capture it-- I have to go, Tikki."

She opens her mouth to speak, but I'm too quick. It's familiar enough to transform again, but I'm not exactly prepared for how little my exhaustion and pain goes away; the transformation is usually rejuvenating. I can move my arm without feeling much pain now, but I get the feeling it's only going to worsen if I fight. Oh well-- I didn't expect it to magically heal, anyway.

I manage to swing myself down to the lower floor, and continue making my way down until I hear Hawk Moth's voice and freeze. Right. Still afraid of him, after all that happened.

I stop just above the first level and watch as Cat Noir, Rena Rouge, and Carapace attack Hawk Moth from all sides. It gives me a small pang to see Rena, because if she knows... if she knew, would she even forgive me?

For a little while, I can only watch the fight, holding my breath every time he strikes out. Cat Noir looks furious-- relentlessly attacking Hawk Moth, trying to get him on the ground. "You're going to pay for what you did to Marinette," he snaps at one point, shoved to the side and struggling to get up.

"She's not safe from me for long," Hawk Moth hisses in return, lunging with his sword so fast that Cat Noir has no time to react.

"Shelter!" Carapace is there quicker than I can think to react myself; luckily, I manage to stay hidden as Hawk Moth's sword bounces off of the glowing green shield around Cat Noir.