Fireworks

Washington D.C. 

July 5 00:01 EDT

"Time runs short."

"You must awaken."

"You must awaken now!"

All four sidekicks awoke with a gasp. The hopeful feeling of everything being a nightmare was immediately squashed the moment they all laid eyes on Superboy. It ultimately became a staring contest, no one daring to speak first. Sparrow surveyed her fellow sidekicks and by the looks on their faces she could tell exactly what they were all were thinking. Aqualad was trying to get a read on Superboy. Robin, while also trying to get a read on the clone, he was currently trying to find a way out. KF can only handle a quiet room for so long and should start talking in 3..2..1..

"What?! What do you want?!" She just smiled at KFs predictability. Superboy said nothing and just continued to stare. This just annoyed KF even more.

"Quit staring. You're creeping me out!"

The glares weren't getting any better, Sparrow would have face palmed herself due to KF's impulsiveness if her hands weren't cuffed. So to stop the sidekicks from having their asses kicked again Robin tried to stop KF from yelling at the clone.

"Uh, KF, how about we not tick off the guy who can fry us with a look?"

While this did stop him from antagonizing Superboy, the staring continued. It was even starting to make the others visibly uncomfortable now. Realizing this, Aqualad takes a turn in trying to communicate with the clone, careful not to anger him more.

"We only sought to help you."

"Yeah. We free you, and you turn on us. How's that for grat–"

Sparrow decided to cut KF off before he made things worse, "KF! You're not helping." She gestured her head towards SB.

Aqualad stepped into the conversation to defend Superboy, "I believe our new friend was not in full control of his actions."

Sparrow heard a voice she didn't recognise and looked around the room to see who was talking. To her surprise it was Superboy, unfortunately the glaring still continued.

"Wha... What if... What if I wasn't?" She saw the look on his face and relaxed feeling bad for the clone. Thinking about it more she realized he probably hasn't even left his cell.

"He can talk?"

Sparrow watched as Superboy made his hands into fists. "Yes, he can."

The others glared at KF. "not like I said, it".

Realizing this wasn't getting anyone anywhere, Aqualad decided to regain the narrative of the conversation. "The genomorphs taught you telepathically."

"They taught me much"

"I can read, write. I know the names of things."

Having not said anything in a while, Sparrow decided to share her thoughts, "But have you seen them?"

"Have they ever actually let you see the sky or the sun?" Robin finished for her.

"Images are implanted in my mind, but no. I have not seen them"

"Do you know what you are, who you are?" Sparrow looked at Aqualad when he spoke. She didn't think he could get any more serious.

"I am the Superboy, a genomorph, a clone made from the DNA of the Superman, created to replace him should he perish, to destroy him should he turn from The Light."