Chapter 28

Author's Note: I've decided that words are italicized, they will denote it being in Italian unless it's accompanied by another writing flourish like bolding. This helps me through struggling through the grammar of a language I don't know much of, and I hope keeps you guys from confusion. I will leave little Italian word and phrases, but don't want to stress about bigger things.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Many grueling hours later, Special instructs Ember and I to pack some clothes and anything we may need to bring in with us. He says it's best we don't bother our bus driver and allow him to have a break. When we finally pull up to the front door of the hotel the ghouls have donned their robes, with Ember loaning me a set after I was worried about looking out of place, and they've readied themselves to leave the bus. Fire and Quintessence wait at the door of the bus for Ember and I, and lead us inside where they are given room keys. We quickly hurry off to the elevator to find our room and settle in for the evening.

Once the door is closed I quickly shed the ghoul robe and mask, and hang them in the closet.

Ember follows suit and quickly claims the bed furthest from the door.

"This way if someone breaks in, we have time to run while they die." Ember explains unprompted. The other two ghouls look at him incredulously.

"Ember, we're on the sixteenth floor."

He shrugs and collapses back onto the pillows.

"You'll just have to break my fall." He laughs.

I join Ember on the bed and pull my phone out, as Fire answers a knock on our door. He enters the main section of the room and throws a small box at me. An envelope is taped to what I assume is the top, with my full name beautifully scripted across it. I use my claws to help peel the envelope off the box and cut the tape on the box.

Right away I see a small humidifier and a bottle of homemade essential oil, the latter is definitely made by Vezio. I pull them out of the box and uncover a leather bound book at the bottom. Finally, I decide to read the letter. I open and unfold the paper, as I begin to read I absentmindedly chew on my thumb nail.

Stellina mio,

I hope you've awoken alright, I was worried when Quintessence told me about what he did, and how you wouldn't wake up. I worry that all the traveling may make you sick, so at a minimum to help avoid dry air I sent you a personal humidifier. Please use it, I can fathom what I'd do if you got sick and I wasn't there to help you.

Special asked me to pull a book on ghouls for you, to aid in your learning. And I believe it will keep Sister Imperator at bay, as she told me to remind you about keeping up with your studies and exercising your brain. Here, Gizio has doodled a little face of disgust and a smiley face. I've asked Quintessence to take over for your care when Special cannot.

Sergio made an essential oil mix for you to add to the humidifier. He said it should help you connect with the aether, bring you strength and confidence, as well as help you sleep. Ezio said that if you've been reading the books he gave you, you should be able to tell everything he put in the oil.

Remember to text me and call me any time you need. I worry about you more than you think.

                                                                                                                                                                       Con affetto,

                                                                                                                                                                      Papino

I raise an eyebrow as I place the letter down, and Ember looks over.

"Did he sign the letter as 'Daddy'?" He asks in disbelief. I nod and stifle a laugh, which can't actually be contained.

"He did! 'Con affetto, Papino'." I giggle. Quintessence leans over the gap between the beds and grabs the letter, while letting out a,

"He didn't, did he?" His eyes scan down to the bottom of the page. "He really takes being your dad seriously." He continues, handing the letter off to Fire. "You know this morning he texted me a list on instructions for caring for you? Mostly just making sure you eat healthy and remember to drink water."

Fire leans forward to look at me from around Quintessence.

"If you have trouble drinking water we will do everything in our power to make you drink it." He threatens jokingly.

My cheeks redden.

"I can drink water by myself."

"Not according to Tino, he said most of the water you drink is mixed with flavoring and shit so you don't know you're drinking water." Fire says.

I pull my knees up to my chest and hide my face. How long has he been doing that?

A knock on the connecting door saves me from my embarrassment, as Ember and I both rush to open the door. Ember, having a head start, gets in front of me. Without thinking I grab the back of his shirt and pull him back, causing him to fall back into me and fall to the floor.

Fire sighs and opens the door himself, revealing Water getting ready to knock again.

"Papa reminded us to put room service orders in for dinner and breakfast. He said to just charge it to the room." Water informs us. "We already have our orders in, I'll give you our menu to speed the kids along." Water passes the menu from their room to Fire, and Quintessence lays the one from our room on the floor next to us. With a bit of struggle, I wiggle out from under Ember and flip the menu open. Ember joins me in sitting against the bed and looks over my shoulder.

"We should get American food. We don't get that much in the abbey." He whispers.

"You should shut your stupid face and let me read." I whisper back. With my breakfast chosen I hand the menu off to Ember and force myself up off the floor. I write my breakfast order down on the notepad and hand it to Fire, who is waiting by the phone.

"What kind of cream cheese do you want?" He asks, looking over the pad. I squint at him in confusion. "You know, the flavor?" I lean forward a little while thinking.

"Standard flavored? I didn't even know there were other flavors." I tell him. "I also have not a single clue what I want for dinner. You can choose for me if you want. I don't care." I tell him, grabbing the ghoul book and laying back on the bed.

Some time later, our food is delivered and Fire sets a takeout box between Ember and I.

"American portions are huge, I figured you two could share a half pound burger and fries without fighting." Fire hands me a plastic knife before getting his own food out.

"This is huge." I raise my eyebrows.

"You can have all the pickles, if I can have your tomato." Ember scoots the pickles toward me and waits for me to cut the burger and give him my half of the tomato.

"So, why was I in an upper bunk when I woke up?" I ask, whipping my mouth. Fire laughs, while Quintessence smiles wide.

"You started using the floor as an extension of your bed. Papa tripped over you three times before deciding you needed to be moved, so we shuffled the bunks around."

"If it weren't for the fact that Special and Quintessence could tell you were still out, Papa would have thought you were targeting him." Ember adds.

I crack a smile,

"Guess even unconsciously I need to be a pain in his ass." I push the rest of the fries over to Ember, grab my little suitcase, and wander into the bathroom.

Pajamas on, hair and teeth brushed, and I'm ready for bed.