Chapter 19

My eyes open to see a folded card on the nightstand next to me. Leaning off the bed I fumble the card off the table.

-Good morning,

Papa should be too busy to bother you today. I had some work to get done before the party tonight, so I won't be around much. Don't forget to be ready and at the ballroom by six pm.

♡ Gizio-

I smile and pull myself out of bed and glance at the clock as I head toward the door. As my hand touches the door knob I lean back and look at the clock again, I really slept until eleven? The walk to my room is uninterrupted until I begin to open my door, Fire's voice cuts through the air as I push my door open.

"What are you wearing tonight?" I open my door fully before responding.

"I'm not sure yet, why?" I question as I spin to look at him. Fire tries to hang in his door frame but can't reach the top and his arms drop like lead to his sides.

"I don't know what to wear. Can you help me when you're done with your outfit?" He asks, throwing in some puppy dog eyes for good measure. Shaking my head I roll me eyes,

"Sure, I'll be over once I'm dressed." My door is shut before he has a chance to ask about anything else, I can't help him if I can't help myself.

I walk into my closet and begin to pull dresses to try on. My goal is for a vintage look, I know I own a lot of vintage style clothes, and a lot of Halloween dresses; I should absolutely be able to find a mix of the two. After trying on most dresses I own, and trying to avoid any that would link me to my dad, I finally find one that I think I can wear and get Fire to agree to match. I slide into my bright, blood red, double spaghetti strap, A-line dress that has little bats on it. Completed with a little black collared cape, and shiny, black, two inch mary janes.

Once I finally look at the clock I gasp and grab my make up case and hair stuff. I frantically knock on Fire's door and wait for him to open it. The instant it's open I enter and show him my outfit,

"Do you want to try to match this?" I ask as I head into the bathroom to start painting my face. After a few minutes Fire slides into the bathroom in black dress pants and a red dress shirt.

"Can I borrow your black waistcoat?" He asks as he begins gelling his hair back with a comb. As I pull my hair up into a ponytail set at the crown of my head I think about it.

"Yeah, I'll go get it. I need to be at the ballroom soon." I run out of the bathroom and slam myself through the doors to get my waistcoat as fast as I can.

Fire meets me in the hall and puts the waistcoat on as we sprint to the ballroom.

"Dude, you don't have to come with me." I gasp. He shrugs in response and keeps pace with me. The ballroom is surprisingly far from our rooms and I spent way too long trying to choose a dress. Thankfully most siblings of sin are getting ready and in their own rooms. By the time we're standing at the grand doors, both of us are out of breath and nearly sweating.

Each member of the family is there with their respective ghoul, the only exception being my grandpa who has Sister Imperator by his side. Everyone in my family has a ghoul or two that is almost always around them, it's one of the few things I haven't been told much about yet. Sure, there's times where they're outside the compound without a ghoul but it's not actually done often. As the greetings begin Sister takes Fire aside leaving me alone with my family.

"Leetle one, you weell be standing in a new place in the family order." Grandpa leads the way into the room followed in order of age by the rest of the family. Each man takes their place with their ghoul standing behind their shoulder. Papa motions for me to stand between him and Gizio, beside Papa but two steps ahead of Gizio. I look around and try to picture where everyone is: The furthest to the right is Vezio with his ghoul standing to his right, Papa next his ghoul to the right as well, myself, followed by Gizio who's ghoul is on his left side. Grandpa stands a few steps behind us with no ghoul by him.