Tell The Truth

A u g u s t

"That's a wrap!" We all applauded as we dispersed to our selected rooms.

The tour was finally over and I'd be on my way back home to Dev. Although she been giving a nigga the cold shoulder, I knew I would be able to wrap my arms around her and make up for all the time we lost together.

-

Getting off the airplane, something felt off. I couldn't quite place it, but it felt like something bad was gone happen.

I ignored the feeling as I got into the car and instructed the driver to take me to my home.

I had planned on getting cleaned up then I'd head over to Dev's office.

-

When I opened the glass doors to her building, I was immediately greeted by two police officers.

This was new.

"Who are you here to see?" A buff white officer asked.

"Devyn Rose." I replied.

"Name?" The second officer, a black man questioned.

"August Alsina." I answered drily.

"Is there an August Alsina on the list?" The white officer asked the woman behind the front desk.

The woman scanned the list. "No sir." She finally said.

"Sorry sir, but you aren't allowed to enter without an appointment." The black officer explained.

Since when? What the fuck was going on?

"Call Dev! She'll come down hea an' straighten all a this out. I always drop by. Now all a sudden I'm not allowed to visit my girl?" I shook my head in disbelief.

"Sir calm down. We'll ask Miss Rose for confirmation and straighten all of this out." The white officer said as if I was some lil ass kid or something.

I smacked my lips and sat down.

Since when did Dev get so much security?

I took a good look around the place and noticed a lot has changed in the lobby.

New front desk workers, new windows, new carpet, and surveillance cameras positioned in various places at different angles.

What made Dev want to redecorate?

"Okay sir, sorry for the wait." The woman at the front desk said. "You may go up to her office." She smiled apologetically as the officers patted me down before giving me the all clear.

What exactly had I missed in the two months away from Dev?

I smiled at shorty behind the desk in front of Dev's office. She told Dev I was here then let me walk in.

I immediately froze. Dev had bruises scattering her face, and bandages wrapped around her right wrist. She looked so fragile.

"What the hell happened to you?" I asked. I walked over to her and gently placed my pointer and thumb on either side of her chin. I lifted head and examined it closely. "Who did this?" I asked, my voice softer this time.

I watched as she bit down on her lip in thought. She was most likely debating on telling me the truth or not. I backed away and pulled the chair around her desk so I could sit in front of her without having her desk in the way.

"You ain't gotta tell me if you don't want to." I smiled at her, taking in her appearance. She looked stressed. Her shoes were discarded on side of her chair, and her feet were swollen. I shook my head and placed her feet on my lap and massaged them.

"Just fill me in onat shit girls talk about when they reunite." I shrugged. "Who fucking who? Who having Jerome baby? Who died? Alla dat."

"I'm having Jerome's baby." She whispered.

I laughed, but that quickly died down when I saw Dev's expression.

What the hell?

D e v y n

I hadn't expected Aug to drop by his first day back. I wish he'd have called so I could've covered all my scars, but no. He wanna show up uninvited. I had all my guards up as he rushed to me and examined my bruises. I had my guards up as he pulled the chair in front of me and sat down, but all my guards came tumbling down as his long, soft fingers massaged my feet, alternating every few minutes from the left, to the right, and back again.

"You ain't gotta tell me if you don't want to." His smile was so kind and bright. "Just fill me in onat shit girls talk about when they reunite." He shrugged. "Who fucking who? Who having Jerome baby? Who died? Alla dat."

I know I shouldn't keep this baby from him. The way he's holding me, making me feel as if I'm the most important thing to him. I know it would hurt if he heard the news from Chris or Trey, who I had told weeks ago.

"I'm having Jerome's baby." I blurted out, mentally slapping myself for that dumb ass sentence.

He laughed, until his eyes met mine, and that wiped the amusement right off his face. "What chu mean?" He questioned.

I bit down on my lip. Better to explain the bruises first. "Well about a week ago, Olivia showed up out the blue. She strolled into my office and punched me straight in the mouth. No 'Hey Dev' or anything. I ain't gone let her get away with an bitch move like that, so we fought. She got a few good hits, but I fractured my wrist because I hit her too hard in the mouth. Before we could cause any more damage, the cops came and arrested her." I finished with a shrug.

"Why she come at you like that?"

I bit my lip. "She found out that I'm pregnant." I looked away. I didn't want to see his reaction.

"Oh." Was his reply.

"Yeah. Oh." I nodded.

We sat in silence.

"Is the baby okay? Did it get hurt while you were fighting!" He asked.

"My doctor says the baby is still healthy and developing. It's not fully a fetus yet, but the head and body is noticeable." I smiled, placing a hand on top of mu slightly swollen stomach.

"Is it mine?" He asked.

"Yes."

"You know Ima need a DNA test right?"

Ouch.

I guess it's understandable. I know hundreds of women come at him claiming he is the father of their baby, and I'm just another name on the growing list.

"Yeah." I sighed. I put my feet back on the ground. "I'm sure you have other plans, you should go. I have a lot of work to do."

"Gimme a call when you get off work." He smiled before putting the chair back and leaving.

Maybe it was the hormones, or the fact that everything finally hit me, but as soon as he shut the door, I cried.

I cried because I had finally told him.

I cried because everything was happening too fast.

I cried because my life is changing.

I cried for my mother and father. I wish they'd come out here and tell me everything would be okay.

I cried for this unborn child. I'd bring him or her into this fucked up world. I'd be responsible for their well being.

I cried at the thought of doing this all on my own. There was no guarantee that August would be here for us, no matter how sweet he seemed in the beginning.

I'd never felt so mentally drained before in my life.

-----