30. Atomic Monsters

Start from the beginning

SAM'S BEDROOM

Sam jolted awake. He breathed heavily as he sat up in bed. He looked around his room.

BUNKER - KITCHEN

Dean and Jayci were eating bacon. Sam walked in.

"Morning," Dean greeted.

"Morning, " Sam said.

"Rough night?"

"Yeah, just, uh... weird dreams."

"Yeah, been there. Why don't you eat something? You'll feel better."

"Dean, you know I don't eat–"

"It's veggie bacon."

"What?" Sam asked, looking to Jayci who nodded.

"You've been asking for it."

"Yeah. But every time I ask for it, you say, and I'm quoting, "I don't want any of that hippie, Sarah McLaughlin grass-eater crap in the Meat Man's kitchen". Which, by the way, for what it's worth, you got to stop calling yourself "The Meat Man". It... it doesn't mean what you think it means."

Dean scoffed. "Yeah, it does. Anyway, it's not that bad. Give it a shot."

"I'm good."

"No, you're not. The past few days, you've barely come outta your room. Jayci too. Look, man, I get it, okay? With Jack... and Rowena... Rowena knew what she was getting herself into. She knew what needed to be done."

At her brother's name, Jayci got up and left. Sam and Dean watched her leave, concerned looks on their faces.

"Doesn't make it any easier."

"No, it doesn't." Dean looked at Sam and passed him the tablet. "Here. In the last month, Beaverdale, Iowa, has seen more than a half-dozen cattle mutilations."

"So, what, mountain lion, or..."

"Mm. Three days ago, a girl's body showed up... ripped to pieces. Now, local badges think they've got themselves a psycho on their hands, but I mean come on, man, that sounds exactly like our thing. So, let's go check it out."

"You know, Dean, you can handle this on your own, or... or call up some of the other hunters..."

"No, no. You, Jayci and me. Sam, we need this."

Dean patted Sam on the shoulder and walked out of the kitchen. Sam picked up a piece of bacon and bit into it.

He scrunched his face and spit it out. "That... that's real bacon, Dean."

Dean appeared in the archway of the kitchen and pointed at him. "You're damn right it is." He pointed to himself. "Meat Man!" He walked away.

Dean found Jayci and asked. "You okay, kid?"

She shook her head. "I miss him. A lot. Even demon Jack was better than him not even being here." She sniffled. "Maybe I should bring him back."

"No, Jayci."

"Why? He's my brother!"

"Sam and I've done that and it never ends well. Trust me, kid. I know it hurts like hell, but Sam and I will help you through this, okay?"

"How?"

"As a family. And I think I know something that'll help distract you."

"What?"

"A hunt. You up for it?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"'Course you do, but I think you should get out rather than mope here."