16. Unhuman Nature

BUNKER

"What's taking so long?" Dean wondered as Jayci paced nervously.

"I don't know. Whatever's going on with Jack is probably complicated," Sam replied.

"Yeah, but, I mean, weird stuff happens to kids all the time. They get coughs, bloody noses. Is he okay?"

"I -- I did what I could, but I don't, I -- I don't know what's wrong with him," Castiel said.

"But you can figure it out, right?"

Jack started having a seizure.

"Jack? Jack? Hey. Jack!" Sam called.

"Jack!" Jayci screamed, running up to her brother.

EMERGENCY ROOM

"I need a doctor!" Dean yelled. "Hey. Look, could you just get him inside?"

"Sir, I just need some basic information. That's the procedure. I do the work-up, then I take him back," the hospital worker said.

"Okay, the basic information is he's sick."

"Do you see anyone here who isn't? His full name, please. You do know his name, right?"

Jayci glared. "Jack."

"Uh, uh, Kline," Sam added. "Jack Kline."

"K-l-i-n-e," Castiel spelled.

"Date of birth?" the hospital worker asked.

"Come on. Is that important?" Dean asked.

"What did you say your relationship is to the patient?"

"May 18th. May 18th. Date of birth -- May 18th," Sam replied.

"2000 -- '99. 2000," Dean added.

"Uh-huh. Family medical history? Let's start with the father," the hospital worker said.

"He's dead."

"Cause of death?"

"He was stabbed through the heart, and he exploded," Castiel informed.

"Okay, you know what? We don't have time for this. All right, he's sick. His name is Jack Kline. His father exploded. There, you've got all the basics. Now what does he need to do to see a doctor?" Dean asked.

Jack collapsed.

"Jack!" Castiel and Jayci cried.

Jack was rushed through the hospital on a gurney.

"Jack?!" Sam and Dean called together. "It's all right, Jack. Hang in there, buddy. Jack, hey, we're right here, buddy."

"He's in good hands. Don't worry," the doctor said.

"So, there's -- there's been... Uh, he's been coughing. There's been blood," Dean informed.

"Okay, gentlemen, ma'am, can you at least wait outside, please?" the nurse asked.

"It's been going on for a while," Sam said.

"What's happened? Is he gonna be okay?" Dean questioned.

"The doctor will handle it," the nurse told them.

"Jack, we're right here!"

Jayci sniffled and threw her arms around Dean.

He returned her hug and said, "It'll be okay, kid." His voice dropped. "I hope."

BAR

"Nick? Hello. Diane Fargo," Diane introduced.

"Hey, yeah. Yeah, you weren't easy to track down," Nick replied.