Chapter 28

It hurts, it always hurts. For some it was like a burn deep within your skin that aches whenever it chooses or like fire ants nipping and chomping down on your skin.

But not for her, flashback after flashback, trauma after trauma. She couldn’t help it, all the times she called out for help and all the times she prayed were unanswered for years but why here? Why now?

The insults, the controlling and grooming of the "perfect" girl, the demeaning that happened everyday, and the nights alone in her room while people partied downstairs all came back to her.

Hits after hits like waves crashing against the beach shore as it all came back to her. Ophelia's eyes filled with tears, plumped lips slightly parted. Her mouth felt dry as she stared up at the ceiling, tears trickled down her cheeks.

The hot tingles traveled up her spine and the water below her bubbled as steam traveled into the air, boiling.

It felt better, soothing even. Ophelia rested against the back of the tub, most of her body was underwater, everything but her face. Ophelia took a deep breath before she ducked her head underneath, closing her eyes, holding her breath.

Flashes after flashes of images of her past appeared in her mind. “Useless, useless. Useless!” Fuschia screamed in her head. Ophelia quickly popped up out of the water, gasping rapidly, desperately trying to get air back into her lungs.

Wiping her eyes, her vision became clearer. It came to her, she finally realized that she wasn’t with them anymore, she was finally safe. Safe within the walls of someone that truly cares for her, truly loves her.

Draining the water, Ophelia stepped out on the mat below her. A towel wrapped around her body. She saw herself in the mirror in front of her.

Her reflection was staring back at her. Slowly she approached the small sink in front of her, gripping the iron below her and just staring back at herself.

Black eyes gazing back at each other. The light flickered slightly, blocking her view a bit every now and then. Her head dropped, eyes focusing on the sink below as she shook her head slightly and chuckled.

"What have we become, Ophelia Shanell Danvers? From living in a rich mansion to living in a trailer home with your boyfriend and his mother," she chuckled again, "who would've guessed?"

Ophelia pushed herself off the sink and walked into Trevor’s bedroom. He was nowhere to be found. His phone resided on the dresser along with his wallet. She didn't think much of it. Lathering her legs with cocoa butter, her hands caressed her skin, massaging it almost.

"Dear?"

Ophelia peered up. Sloane stood in the door with a deep frown. "I'm sorry to walk in but do you know where Trevor went?"

Ophelia shook her head, "I thought he might've been in the front." Sloane frowned again, becoming paler by the minute.

All the joy in her eyes was flushed and replaced by worry.

"He did look pretty upset and was mumbling something about someone by the name of Myles and Fuschia but I don't know but he did look angry, very angry like…" Sloane paused as she shuttered slightly like a spider had crawled up her spine and startled her.

She swallowed before she spoke again, "Like his father." Ophelia's eye nearly popped out of her skull.

"I know where he's going. I-I have to get to him." Ophelia quickly grabbed some items and dashed into the bathroom. Her mind raced. All the possibilities that he could do.

Trevor was a different man when his emotions came into play but she's never seen him like this. Sloane sniffled as she watched Ophelia speed from one side to the other side, grabbing things.

Before she could leave, Sloane gripped her arm and looked at her with desperation in her eyes.

"Please don't let him do something he'll regret, please don't let him become his father." Sloane begged, desperately as she nearly choked on her own tears.

"I won't," Ophelia promised. Sloane's grip loosened giving Ophelia the chance to leave. Sloane heard the door shut, tears trickling down her cheeks as her knees gave out underneath her.

She sobbed in her hands not caring how loud she was for she was alone. Lights reappeared and disappeared as Ophelia sped down the quiet roads. She knew what possibly did, what possibly triggered him….it was her for sure she knew it was her.

She moped around and cried through the nights, burned herself whenever she took steaming hot baths. He saw it all, heard it all and now he was about to do god knows what.

Her thumbs drummed impatiently on the steering wheel as the light continued to be red. Once it turned green, she smashed the gas not caring how fast she was going, she just had to reach him before his brain went numb and his fists did the talking.

"I love you, don't you forget that, Princess," his voice echoed in her mind, "I love you."

She pulled into the driveway of her parents' house. Trevor bent forward with a fist raised high in the air, his back to her.

Myles was on the ground-holding his hands up, surrendering-begging and pleading for Trevor to stop. "Trevor," She screamed, "Trevor stop!"

Myles grunted as Trevor landed blow after blow, growling like a predator. "Trevor, please." He ignored her. Ophelia ran over to him, grabbing his arm, preventing him from striking again.

His breathing was harsh-grunting and growling at Myles-snatching away as he stood to his complete height, towering over the beaten man.

"Daddy!" Sasha cried out as she stood on the porch while Fuschia looked on as well with more or less of pitiness. Ophelia stepped in between the two, placing both her hands on his chest, gently pushing him.

His blue eyes held anger and hatred….so much hatred to the point if looks could kill then he'd be a deadman already. "You and your family did this," he started to say, "did this to her. She has trauma thanks to you."

Though he spoke to everyone, his eyes addressed Fuschia-the woman who inflicted the most pain to her. Fuschia shrunk a bit and decided to avoid eye contact.

His long finger stared each of them down, "You stay the hell away from me and you definitely stay the hell away from her. If I ever, ever see your faces again," without hesitation, Trevor stated,

"I'll kill you."