Chapter 19

Things had never been the same. Weeks went by since the shooting at the bonfire party. The following Monday after that weekend, the principal announced the condition of the surviving students. 

That Monday, a remembrance memorial was held for the killed students. It was hard for most of the students to look over to the seat next to them and see an empty seat. Ophelia stared at the empty seat beside her.

A photo of a classmate stood there. Their perfect and gentle smile could never brighten up anyone's day again. Ophelia felt tears in her eyes and quickly blinked them away before they could escape.

Sometimes the teachers would pause in the middle of the lesson and become saddened at the sight, some would even cry.

It was getting closer to Christmas and the weather was colder. Christmas decorations were starting to appear and the jolly songs would play.

Though it was hard after the shooting, students and faculty still found time to be jolly for the holidays. It was snowing outside.

Snow covered most of the roads and buildings, the sidewalks would be slippery. Ophelia walked on the street, snow crunching underneath her, hands in her puffy jacket pockets.

Chloe was still in the hospital, Sasha was at oasis springs with some friends while Fuschia and Myles were possibly at home. Ophelia didn't want to go straight home and endure verbal abuse of her mother.

Instead she decided to walk the streets, see what she could find to distract herself. The park seemed sensible right? Teens and adults were playing ice hockey on the frozen lake while children threw snowballs, built snowmen or made snow angels.

Ophelia sat alone on the bench, scrolling through social media, taking in the pictures that were posted. A sudden warmth sensation tapped her shoulder. She quickly turned around, as quickly as her shock came, it faded.

"Easy cupcake, it's just me offering you hot chocolate." Trevor sat beside her, sipping his drink, enjoying the slight warmth it provided. Ophelia eyed the cup suspiciously as if she was waiting for it to jump and attack her.

"It's just a drink, cupcake not a snake." He says, growing a little annoyed. She crossed her arms. "How do I know you didn't do anything to it?" Trevor mumbles a few words under his breath, growling with annoyance,"I just bought the damn drink. You think I'd do something in front of all these people?"

Ophelia could only shrug. Trevor shoved the drink into her hands and turned away, watching the people around them. Though bundled up from head to toe, Ophelia could still feel the coldness radiating off of Trevor.

Usually he would be teasing and taunting her but no, now he was just sitting there, quiet as a mouse but face hard as stone. Ophelia took a few sips. The pair sat in silence with a little room between them. "This is the first time that you've been quiet, something wrong?"

Trevor scoffed, "Nah, just enjoying my hot chocolate and the cold." Ophelia fell silent. "How's your friend?" He asks. "Chloe's fine. They said she should be out next Friday, the day we get out early for Christmas break." She answers. Trevor hums before taking one final gulp from his drink before throwing the cup away.

Ophelia took in his features, the way the ray of the sun shined on him, the way the snow complimented his skin and his striking blue eyes. She had to admit, he was handsome but he'd be even better if wasn't an ass half the time.

She sighs and turns back to the children throwing snowballs.

"Chloe and I used to do that, chuck snowballs at each other and sometimes at her old man." Ophelia chuckles softly at the memory, "God I remember the moments afterwards like having winter slumber parties, watching Christmas movies. I miss those days."

Trevor hasn't uttered a word. His expression was colder. "I'm sorry, am I boring you? I'll leave if that's the case." Ophelia stood up. A hand grabbed her arm before she could get away and tugged her backwards, back on the bench, closer to Trevor.

"Stay, "He tells her in a softer voice, "you aren't getting on my nerves." A small smile appeared on her lips as she begins to tell more stories.

"What was your favorite part about Christmas?" She asks. Trevor was silent for while, "Pops and Ma used to take me to the festival across town in the more country side. The folks around there were the friendliest people you could've ever meet, their warm smiles and cheerful attitudes." Trevor reminisces,

"The old geezer would put me on his shoulders while Ma snuggled into his side as we sung carols alongside the residents. If I could say there was one thing that I could say was my favorite thing about Christmas," Trevor and Ophelia locked eyes, " was the people."

"The people." Ophelia echoes quietly.

They stared into each other's eyes. The pair could feel something, something unspeakable between them. Something comforting but silent, like a blanket wrapped around small child as it slept in the darkness of its room.

Lips barely brushing against each other; A tiny distance between them. Smack! "Ugh! Son of a." Trevor wiped snow off his face as Ophelia laughed.

A group of children smirked at the pair. "I believe we have a snow fight on our hands. Shall we retaliate, Trevor?" She tilts her head. "With pleasure." Trevor grins, mischievously.

The teens hid behind a bench as the children attacked with snowballs. Only coming from behind cover, to hurl a snowballs back at the group. Laughing as they heard cute little grunts come from children that were hit with snow.

Dark began to fall and children began to leave. Soon it was only the teens left. "I think that's all of them." Ophelia said. "Yeah I think so too." Trevor replies, "Hey, not so bad when it comes to throwing." "Not too bad yourself." Ophelia grins.

She and Trevor high fived, hands still touching. Her eyes widen before she pulls away. "I should get home. Thanks for the drink." Trevor nods ast her. "No problem, Princess."

Ophelia quickly scurried off. Trevor watched her form, hands in pocket, smile on his face. 'Cute' He walked away with a satisfied feeling.