Third Year Exams

Carina's POV

The euphoria of gryffindor winning the quidditch cup for the first time since Charlie Weasley finish school lasted at least a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached. The days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling onto the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice. Perhaps playing a casual game of Gobstones or watching the giant squid propel itself dreamily across the surface of the lake.

I myself spent most of the time outside with Snuffles. Swimming with some Ravenclaw friends. If we weren't having fun. We lounged in the shade reading. But the fun couldn't last forever, as exams approached. Even Fred and George Weasley had been spotted working; they were about to take their O. W. L. s. Percy was getting ready to take his N. E. W. T. s, the highest qualification Hogwarts offered. As Percy hoped to enter the Ministry of Magic, he needed top grades. He was becoming increasingly edgy, and gave very severe punishments to anybody who disturbed the quiet of the common room in the evenings. In fact, the only person who seemed more anxious than Percy was Hermione.

I would be to. If not for Snuffles and Honoria. They both made sure I relaxed and didn't over to it studying. It also helped that I dropped Muggle Studies. Though I wish Hermione would chill also. She's round so tight these days. Maybe I can have Snuffles steal her book bag and bring her to the lake to chill.

But when the exams started, there was no time to get her to relax. Though I promised myself to make her and the others relax after the exams. No matter what. Ron question Hermione about her exam schedule. Honestly, it only riled her up more and no the first day of exams.

However, so far exams are going well. At least I believe I've passed all my classes so far. But I'm not naive enough to think I've got outstanding in everything. Maybe in some classes. But not all of them. Harry's confusing concoction was to thin during our practical potions exam Tuesday afternoon. He believes Snape put a zero on his sheet. Then came Astronomy at midnight, up on the tallest tower.

On Wednesday we had History of Magic in the morning. Which I think I only just got an acceptable on. I just find the class so boring and wish I could drop it. But I can't until after I take my OWLs. Wednesday afternoon meant Herbology, in the greenhouses under a baking-hot sun. Luckily I put sunscreen on, so I wasn't sun burnt like so many others.

Our second to last exam, on Thursday morning, was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Professor Lupin had compiled the most unusual exam any of us had ever taken. An obstacle course outside in the sun, where we had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a Grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of Red Caps, squish their way across a patch of marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a Hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new Boggart.

Poor Hermione nearly had a nervous break down when she faced her's. It was McGonagall telling her she had failed everything. It took a little while for me to calm Hermione down. Afterwards I took  my turn and was surprised when I saw what I saw. It was Hermione and an adult couple I've never meet dead. I turned them into clowns doing a clown routine and left the trunk. "Well done Carina, are you ok?" Professor Lupin asks me.

"Yes, I just don't understand what I saw" I state looking at the trunk. "Have a good day" I tell him. Before returning to the castle with the other three. When we arrived we saw the minister of magic. He greeted Harry warmly.

"Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?" he asks.

"Yes" Harry says. As I hang back with the other two awkwardly. Fudge says how it's a lovely day and that it's a pity.

"I'm here on an unpleasant mission, Harry. The Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures required a witness to the execution of a mad Hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to check on the Black situation, I was asked to step in" he explains. Buckbeak, that's today.

"Does that mean the appeal's already happened?" Ron asks him.

"No, no, it's scheduled for this afternoon" Fudge states.

"Then you might not have to witness an execution at all!" Ron exclaims.

"I know the hippogriff Minister. I was there when he hurt my cousin" I state stepping forward. "Carina Black" I say bowing my head. "I meet the hippogriff first, after Professor Hagrid explained what proud creatures they were and how to approach them properly. Warning us to never insult, saying it may be the last thing we ever did" I explain. "My cousin ignored his warnings and insulted Buckbeak while patting him. It's Draco's own fault he got hurt" I state.

"Be that as it may, it does not change the fact that the hippogriff in question hurt the young boy" Fudge states. Just then a man with an axe appears.

"Dear, dear, I'm getting too old for this. . . . Two o'clock, isn't it, Fudge?" the man asks. Who nods and they left.

"As long as Hagrid keeps his head this time, and argues his case properly, they can't possibly execute Buckbeak" Hermione tells us.

"I hope they don't, he is a fine hippogriff" I state. The others go to their final exams. While I return all the books I had burrowed to the library.

"Hello cousin" Draco says.

"Draco" I say politely as I put books away. "Shouldn't you be at your divination exam?" I ask him.

"She's seeing us one at a time in alphabetical order. Figured I'd return my burrowed books also" he states putting books away. "How do you think you went?" he asks me curious.

"I believe I've passed everything, but we won't know for a couple of weeks" I state.

"It would be good if you passed with high marks" he states.

"I don't care if I failed History" I tell him.

"It would look bad if you failed anything" he tells me.

"What does it matter if I do?" I ask.

"You're a pure-blood witch, the last of the Black women. A prize for any pure-blood family" he states. I sigh running a hand through my hair.

"You know I don't care about that" I remind him.

"But your father did, which is why he made arrangements to keep your blood line pure before he died" he states.

"What do you mean?" I ask him confused. He looks at the clock.

"I must get to my exam, see you around" he states and left. I'm so confused. What did he mean by that? What arrangements? Guess I have to have a serious talk with Aunt Andromeda when I return home this summer.

A/N

Picture above of Macnair the executioner and Cornelius Fudge the Minster of Magic.