chapter 12

it's not your fault
🎶 matilda - harry styles

The group, not including JJ, sat around at the wreck

The group, not including JJ, sat around at the wreck. The mood was low, and nobody spoke.

"Look, he'll come around." John B reasoned. "He's doing a JJ thing."

"You think he'll go home?" Liv asked.

"There's about a zero percent chance that JJ goes home." Pope said.

"Why?" Aubrie questioned.

The group got tense. John B, Liv, Pope, and Kie looked between each other to see who would have the nerve to say it out loud.

Liv spoke quietly. "It's just not a good situation."

That was enough, it was all Aubrie needed to hear to know that she shouldn't ask anymore questions. "Oh."

John B turned to Sarah. "You okay?"

She nodded slightly. "Yeah. Are you?"

"I mean I'm in one piece, so." He replied.

Pope sighed. "Okay. It's too dangerous to pawn this thing off piecemeal. So, our best bet is to go down there and get the rest of it. Bring it all up at once, put it in a safe place or in a vault or something. I- I don't know. Just until we can find someone who won't rip us off. I can go figure it out tonight, get it done, and we can be out there by tomorrow morning. Easy."

"Alright, so, let's go." John B nodded.

"What about that thing with my dad?" Sarah asked.

"It's 400 million in gold can't you just make something up?" Liv asked.

There was a pause for John B spoke. "I have to, okay. He saved me, and if it weren't for Ward I'd be in foster care. So, I have to go." He explained. "Plus, it'll be better to do it at night." Everyone just stared at him. "Right?"

"Fine. Go fishing." Pope said.

"At least JJ will have probably washed up by then." Kiara offered.

-

Aubrie and Liv ended up going with Kiara and Pope to get all of the materials they would need for the next day, and Pope went on about his interview as they drove up to John B's house.

They got out the car, walking to the back and getting out the stuff they bought. Aubrie and Olivia grabbed some tools while Kiara and Pope talked. Something is the air felt off, like an uneasy feeling in Aubrie's stomach

Suddenly, strings of lights lit up around them. "What the hell?" Aubrie said. An array of colorful lights shined across her face. She looked over to see JJ sitting in a hot tub. Kiara and Pope followed close behind.