chapter 4

half & half
🎶 cruel summer - taylor swift

Aubrie walked with Rafe, Kelce, and Topper through the battered yard behind their house

Aubrie walked with Rafe, Kelce, and Topper through the battered yard behind their house. The teens cringed at all of the hurricane damage. "Geez man. Agatha's a bitch." She frowned.

"Damn right she is." Kelce agreed.

Topper, being a douche as always, brought up the incident with JJ. "I just can't get it out of my head. It's just on repeat, 'Your move broski'."

"Bro, he had a semi automatic pointed at your head." Kelce emphasized.

"That's what I'm saying." Topper sighed.

"Safety off." Kelce seethed. "Those pouges man."

"Gotta stay away from those pouges." The blonde boy nodded.

Aubrie, annoyed with the testosterone in the air, walked away in search of Sarah or Wheezie. She didn't have to look very far, as she saw Sarah knelt down talking to a little girl. Aubrie approached her, but as she drew closer, Sarah began walking on the broken electrical poles. "Sarah, you dumbass, come back."

"Hey there's 14,000 volts in those wires." Rose warned.

Sarah only laughed, and Topper called out to her, "Hey Sarah, be careful!"

"Sarah get down now." Rose demanded.

"Rose calm down, I'm an athlete, I got this." Sarah smugly replied.

"You're gonna get electrocuted, get down!" Rose yelled again.

Sarah found everyone's anxiety amusing, and began shimmying on the pole. "Very funny!" Aubrie called. "Hope you fall!"

Everyone continued to shout at her even after she laid eyes on the lost stuffed animal, and Sarah, always looking for a laugh, decided to take advantage of their concern. She let out a shriek, falling over into the boat. Everyone ran up to her in fear, but Aubrie knew better. Shortly after Topper came running like a puppy, Sarah started laughing and waving the wire in his face. "It's disconnected." Sarah laughed. "Absolute sucker. You should see your face."

"Yeah I'm sorry that I care. Alright, guilty." Topper scoffed.

The other sister, while still laughing, walked up to Topper. "Hey Topper, how does it feel to know that you're officially Sarah's bitch?"

The blonde rolled his eyes at the girl as Sarah triumphantly waved the stuffed elephant.

-

The summer heat in the OBX was almost unbearable for Aubrie as she laid out on the dock. Her hair was sticking to her face from the sweat, forcing her to pull it up to avoid further discomfort.

Despite the summer heat, Aubrie had fallen asleep in the chair. What could she say, Rose picked out a damn good decorative cushion. She was awoken by her father shaking her shoulder. She pulled down her sunglasses and looked over at him. "Hey dad."