chapter 8

hawk's nest
🎶 falling - harry styles

The pouges sat around a fire, just after making their great escape from Midsummers

The pouges sat around a fire, just after making their great escape from Midsummers. "Hey, guys. So like, my dads already gonna kill me, so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked.

"Might as well tell him man, before we're gaffed." JJ said to John B.

"You ready for this?" John B asked."

"Yeah." Kie replied.

"Yep." Olivia nodded.

"So, the gold never went down with the royal merchant." He explained.

"Oh my gosh. Here we go again with this." Pope groaned.

"No, no, hear him out. All right?" JJ defended.

"It's been here the whole time." John B said. "On the island."

"Are you serious?" Kie questioned. "Oh my gosh."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope said.

"I'm sure you would Pope," John B acknowledged, "but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?"

"Proceed." Pope nodded.

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell is that?" Liv asked.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck." He explained. "Check this out." He said, unfolding the papers in his hands. "Here you go." He handed the papers to the girls so that they could look over it. "Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom. After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please because that farm is," The group clapped their hands to their knees. "Tannyhill plantation."

"Tannyhill?" Liv said, in shock.

"Yeah." John B nodded. "So after that, he used his money to buy even more slaves and then he sold a shit ton of rice which pisses off the white planters and then, they decide to lynch him."

"Holy shit." Liv remarked.

"So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."

"Where?" Kie asked.

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except- there's no wheat. You see, wheat is code for gold." He explained. "Check this out." He put the picture of the gold, which featured a wheat symbol, next to the letter. "The gold is in parcel nine, near the water."

"Holy shit." Pope gasped.

"All we need is an original survey map of the property and we've found the gold." John B smiled triumphantly.