chapter 11

face on the ground
🎶 savior complex - phoebe bridgers

Kiara, Olivia, Sarah, and Aubrie all sat with the doors open in John B's van, discussing Pope's plan to get the rest of the gold

JJ approached the girls. "Kie, this better work, we can't pawn these if they have a giant weed symbol on it." He huffed, handing Kiara the first three pieces of gold John B took from the Crain house.

"It's gonna work." Kiara smiled, holding up a blowtorch.

They all watched as Kiara put on safety glasses and stood over the gold. She held the blowtorch over it, and it successfully melted the three pieces together. It looked like shit, but it worked. Liv and Aubrie shared a high five. "You know what that is?" Aubrie asked.

"What?" Liv replied with a smile.

"The sweet sweet smell of success." Aubrie grinned.

"Don't celebrate too soon." Liv warned. "We still have to get the rest."

Kiara turned off the torch. "Alright, once this is done cooling we just have to go pawn it."

"Perfect." Aubrie smiled.

The gold cooled and the group got in the car to drive down to the pawn shop. They piled out the van once the arrived, and JJ scoffed at how the gold looked. "Hell of a job melting down the gold, Dr. Frankenstein."

"Like you could have done any better." Kiara quipped.

"I actually could have done a hell of a lot better." JJ retorted. "I took a welding class."

"When?" Kiara sassed.

"Hey!" John B interrupted. "Chill out, okay?"

"Easy for you to say." JJ defended. "You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off."

"It'll be fine." Aubrie encouraged.

"How did I get this job anyway?" He questioned.

"Because you're the best liar." Pope answered.

JJ sighed in defeat and stepped into the pawn shop. It had the familiar ringing of a bell that was commonly found in small shops like these, and the familiar grouchy face that could also be found across the cut and parts of Figure 8.

"Afternoon m'am." JJ said confidently as the group walked in.

"Afternoon." She replied skeptically.

"I see you buy gold." JJ said.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?" She sassed with a lack of grammar that would have made Aubrie's 9th grade English teacher scowl.

"Well I sure hope you buy a lot of it." He said, putting his bag in front of him. "Because I'm about to blow your mind."