Answers

Thump thump thump

Thump thump thump.

He was standing by my Jeep. He'd changed out of uniform and wore board shorts and a tee. Like he was about to head to the beach. My heart drummed uncontrollably. What should I say, and do? I had to be honest. It was the only way my silence would make any sense.

I got closer and our eyes locked.

Thump thump thump.

He still had dark circles and appeared exhausted.

"Hey.." He said.

I closed the gap between us and beeped my car unlocked.

"Luca, I'm sorry. I just read your messages today." I began, opening the drivers side door and tossing my work bag in. "I saw you in the store and, well, you looked like hell."

He moved closer so he was beside me , arms folded in a self defensive posture.

"Thanks. You looked pretty tired yourself." He said.

"I have been, to be honest. I saw your phone message the night you cooked for me. The one from sergeant Leer."

His face changed. He visibly stiffened.

"Then I followed you, after you left."

"You did what?" He asked, uncrossing his arms and putting them into his pockets.

"I followed you, in an Uber. I know it sounds crazy but I had to. I couldn't tell you I'd looked at your phone, I had to see if you were lying to me. If you were seeing her."

He sighed, bracing his arm on the open door. I sat down in the drivers seat, my legs facing out towards Luca.

"I wish you'd have just told me once I came back in with the lotion...I noticed you had changed your demeanor. It's not what you think Mila. I'm not seeing Leer."

"You aren't? Then why did she run out and hug you that night?"

He sighed.

"I don't know why. She was on her way to being drunk I think. She had a babysitter over watching her daughter and she was just out of it. Didn't you see me push her away? Help her back inside as she was stumbling around?"

I fumbled with my pant leg, trying to gather my thoughts. He said her daughter was there. At his house.

"I didn't stick around. Left after I saw her hugging you, and you hugging back."

"Mila..I wasn't hugging her back, I promise."

He let go of my door and came inches from me, letting his hands rest lightly on my legs. Jolts of electricity spread across my skin, igniting emotions.

"Why is she and her daughter at your apartment Luca? Are they still there?"

"No, they aren't. Her electricity was out and I couldn't let the three year old stay there like that."