Beach Training

I stared at the bouquet of tropical flowers in a giant vase

I stared at the bouquet of tropical flowers in a giant vase. My porch looked alive, as if the portal to a mystical place, where ancient Hawaiian spirits would pop out. I was dumbfounded. How long it had been since anyone gave me such a gift. Or any gift at all.

Pulling into the covered carport, I turned off the Jeep and climbed out. I swallowed my anxiety at finding such a token and gingerly went to the front porch. There was a card tucked in between the lushness. My name was printed on the parchment. Upon turning it over I read the message.

Hoping you feel better soon.

Lex.

Receiving a gift from a guy should be something that makes you happy, fills you with joy. I only felt anxiety, and a tad bit of shame. I was not the type of girl to string guys along. Wasn't raised that way. I had to do the honorable thing.

Sitting on the front steps, I called him. He picked up quickly, not giving me too much time to think.

"Mila, hey! Are you doing ok? Need anything?"

He sounded so happy, it tore at my resolve slightly.

"Thank you for the flowers...they are lovely. It was far too generous of you though."

"I'm glad you got them! I wanted to knock but I didn't want to wake you up if you were sleeping."

Now I really felt guilty. Lex was the nicest guy, in every possible way. Was it worth it throwing away a chance with him, for a chance with Luca? My mind was racing....but my heart was giving me a nudge.

"Lex, I need to tell you..I can't really pursue anything and it wouldn't be fair to you to not tell you. Even if you are about to leave."

There was a pause on the line then he cleared his throat.

"I get it. You probably already have a guy you're interested in. Could it have been the one sitting in the Jeep across from your house last night?"

How did he know about Luca?

"I...well...I'm not dating anyone if that's what you mean. I'm very single. I just..." I sighed, this was hard. "I just can't start anything else right now until I figure things out."

"I hope he treats you well. And he damn well better send you flowers like I did, you deserve them and more." He said. "But in case he doesn't, I'll text you my email. Stay in touch if you want."

We ended our conversation shortly after that, only mildly easing my mind. I could still talk to him if I wanted to. But what guy wants to be second best? Even though I was naive about this stuff I did have the smarts to not promise him anything. I picked up the flowers and went inside.

Tomorrow would bring a beach date of sorts.

For that, I'm ready.

💋💋