Marines Ahead

He was standing off a few feet from me

He was standing off a few feet from me. His eyes taking me in behind his issued sunglasses. I could see his lips moving slightly, as if he was thinking unspoken words he wanted to share. Why wasn't he saying anything?

"Luca?" I asked. 

"You're going to get burned." He softly said, walking in front of me. 

Burned? I was tan, I didn't burn anymore. The sentence struck me as sweet though, just like Mrs. Mahaka had said. 

"I can't really burn...but thank you for caring." I said, giving him a small smile. 

He turned towards the men running by, god knows what lap they were on. 

"Aren't you supposed to be running with them?" I asked. 

Luca looked back towards me, shifting his weight in the sand, his forearms crossing now, the muscles gleaming in the sun. He was sweaty. The view sending a rush of sexual tension through my scantily clad body. 

"No. I'm the Gunnery Sergeant in charge today. I'll join 'em in a bit." He replied. 

There was another pause so I grabbed my tank top and slid it back on. I felt pretty exposed in just my bikini for some reason. He cleared his throat and turned back towards the ocean. Crap. I needed to say something. 

"So...do you guys train here often? I see marines here almost every day, except Sunday." 

I stood up and moved closer to him. He glanced over at me, his gaze boring holes into my frame. I felt even more self conscious now. It was a weird feeling. 

"We train 3 days a week on the beach, or in the woods." He said, gesturing behind him off to the left. "We're part of 3rd Marine Littoral Regiment, the combat team." 

My grandpa was in the 3rd Marine unit, but I wasn't ready to share any of that with him. I didn't want to share anything personal with him yet. Men weren't trustworthy in my opinion...until they proved to you they could be. 

"Interesting. I don't want to keep you from your work.." I said. 

He cleared his throat again and nodded. I couldn't help but stare at his frame. The uniform fit him like glove. Like he was meant to be only a marine. Lord, what was happening to me? 

"See you later Mila." 

He strode off, his butt a tight spectacle to watch as well as his back and arms. 

What exactly just happened?

Why did he take the time to come and say hi to me, then say much of nothing? We both were sober too. Maybe my neighbors advice was wrong. He wasn't into me. So what did he want? The questions were too numerous and too confusing. I couldn't possibly lay back down now. No way. My mind and body needed something active, to distract. What the hell...I'd go for a swim.