Bellissima

What do you drink with Italian food besides wine?

I had no good ideas. The local liquor store in Kailua had too many varieties, it made my head spin. Believe it or not, drinking wasn't something I did all the time. In fact, it was discouraged by my doctors in the past. Alcohol can fuel cancer growth in your cells. I was also supposed to be eating as healthy as possible, which I mostly did stick to. I sighed and looked at the rows and rows of red wines. This was difficult.

"Anything in particular you are looking for?"

An older store employee came ambling over to try and help. I was grateful for the intrusion.

"Yes. I need a good wine or two for an authentic Italian meal. But where do I start?"

"Well, is price a concern?" The man asked.

No not really.

"I'd like to stick to under $100 if possible, for two bottles."

It was always best to not flaunt money and to not overspend. I was raised that way.

"Well, we do have a few imports. Here." He held a pretty bottle with a label, all in Italian.

"Looks good to me, thank you."

I took the two bottles up to pay. It was going to be such a nice dinner, I had no doubts. Was excitement too premature, given the nature of how Luca would start then stop things? Too many thoughts. I paid and walked back out to my Jeep. Once I got in, I noticed a familiar car pulling up next to me.

Sergeant Leer.....what a weird coincidence.

The tall sergeant got out, oblivious to me right next to her. Maybe she didn't know what I drove. Most likely not. The parking lot at the beach the other day had a lot of cars in it. And she had left before I did. I watched her go inside. If she was so broke as Luca had said, unable to call for a professional plumber, why was she here buying alcohol?

Being nosey wasn't my forte, but I couldn't help myself. I didn't like her. There was something off, and it was more than jealousy. I hunkered down and watched. She was in the beer cooler area for a bit then came out with a few twelve packs. A lot of beer for one woman to drink by herself. Then she grabbed a large bottle of whiskey. Not the cheap kind either. That had my intuition revving.

Who is she buying all that alcohol for?

I should probably go so I started backing out, before the sergeant paid and noticed me. Brushing off what I saw, I refocused on the evening to come. Luca was coming over. He was coming to cook. For me.

💋💋

I spent the rest of the day preparing. Cleaning the house, doing all the laundry I had in my hamper and even taking an extra long bath complete with shaving. A girl has to be prepared. Luca had texted once, right after lunch.