Midnight Beach

Moonlight bathed the beach

Everything was brighter, illuminated softly from the full orb glowing high above. Thousands of stars glittered throughout the abyss as we looked up. I thought I was looking at a live Van Gogh painting, it was so beautiful. Luca stood close, but not close enough to touch me. He'd insisted we go for a walk...to 'get air'. I'm pretty sure he meant I needed to sober up. 

I turned my gaze to the marine next to me and was surprised to see he was already staring back. He looked so good. His eyes gleamed in the darkness, intent of what in them, I couldn't tell. 

"Luca..." I began.

"Mila, you've got to be careful around marines. Not all of us are going to hold back." He said. 

What did he mean hold back? He was holding back? For what ungodly reason? 

"You're kidding me right?!" I blurted out, walking away from him. 

I trudged through the sand towards the waves ahead. The tide was in, and the whites were illuminated, frothing. Luca quickly caught up to me, grabbing me by the elbow. His touch sent shocks up my arm. 

"Mila...you have to be careful. I'm serious." 

"Why do you care?" I said, turning around to face him. 

He dropped his hand and ran the other through his styled hair, disheveling it. His mouth opened slightly then shut again. Confusion was not how I'd describe my reaction. I was angry. Being really buzzed, in front of a smoking hot marine, alone on a beach at night should be the fantasy scenario. But it wasn't. This marine didn't want me. 

"Ok Luca. Don't feel like you need to babysit me anymore. I'm a local, I'll be fine. I don't need your pity." I practically spit out. 

He looked pained as his face changed. It was subtle but I saw it. 

"I'm not pitying you...for gods sake Mila..." He said. "Most of the marines there just want to fuck. They see women, especially beautiful ones like you as easy lays. You're too good for that." 

He just called me beautiful. I grinned and began to walk towards the waves again, but slower this time. Luca thought I was beautiful...

"Mila.. don't get too close, you're drunk and I don't want you to drown."

Before I could respond, I felt his hands on my waist. He tugged me backwards towards him. He was solid and warm, so so warm. I moaned softly, hoping he hadn't heard me. One of his hands reached up and grazed my arm, traveling upwards more as it found my shoulder. Then out of nowhere his lips were on the side of my face. The warmth radiating off of them as they lightly kissed my cheek. 

"Luca..." I breathed, turning my head so his lips were now by my eye. 

"Yes?" He asked huskily. 

Was this really happening? The stoic marine that I met a day ago was kissing me...well....parts of me. He let his lips move towards my ear and then he stopped. Missing the absence of his touch and feeling buzzed still, I bravely grabbed his hand from my shoulder and moved it onto one of my breasts.