Chapter 16: Forest Foraging

After watering the fields, Pete and Claire decided to explore the forests again to familiarize themselves with the area. Pete also wanted to forage for items they could ship.

"This was the path to the hot spring, right?" Claire asked. And that's where the Harvest Goddess lives...

"Right." Pete nodded. His eyes followed the long path forward which led deeper into the forests. "Let's see where this path takes us."

The two farmers walked deeper into the forests. Claire fell into step beside Pete. The path seemed to curve around the hot spring area. More trees appeared in their view. As they moved past the trees, Claire saw a silver bridge connecting the hot spring area to where they stood.

"Oh, we could have taken the bridge," Claire said. "We didn't have to go the long way around."

"Huh, I see." Pete drew his hands to his waist. Was that bridge always there? He recalled the springs being an isolated area of the forests in his childhood days. I must have missed it when I showed Claire the way.

As the two farmers moved farther, they saw a wide body of water to the left. There was another path that led north.

"Ah, this must be the lake." Pete walked towards the lake. Huh, I think I see something over there...? It looked like another cave, but that didn't make sense for one to just be in the middle of the water.

"Oooh, what's this?" Claire crouched down in front of a grass-looking item. It's very blue! She gently plucked it out of the ground. She took a few sniffs. Oh, it smells kinda nice! Maybe they could ship this.

Pete bent over and ran his hands through the shimmering water. A cool feeling. He didn't remember playing by the lake when he was a kid. Because I continued taking that path over there...

"The lake's pretty big." Claire stood beside Pete, watching the scenery. "Wouldn't it be funny if there was another godly being lying under the waters?"

No way. Pete cracked a smile. "That would be strange–..."

"Hm...?" a voice hummed beside him. "Oh, I don't believe we've met."

"Huh?" Pete and Claire turned to the voice. A girl was standing before them.

"I'm Jennifer." She bowed her head and smiled. "It's a pleasure."

"Oh." Pete and Claire blinked. They didn't expect to meet someone in the forests.

"I was just opening my soul to the positive energies of Mother Nature." Jennifer turned to the lake. She took in a deep breath of nature's air.

"Positive energies...?" Pete followed her gaze. Well, the scenery's pretty positive...

"Can you feel them?" She asked in a gentle tone, directing her eyes to the sky. "They emanate in waves from the song of the birds, from the light of the sun..."