Chapter 4: Fateful Encounter

Pete raised his fist in determination. I don't know if I can achieve what you did, but that won't stop me from trying! I'll make you proud, old ma–

"Excuse me, is this the farm MT Realtor sold to me?"

"Huh?" Pete and Thomas turned to the new visitor. They saw a girl approaching them. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes. Who's that? She doesn't look like she comes from around here...? His gaze shifted to the sizable suitcase behind her. It's as if she was moving here.

"Are you perhaps a tourist, miss?" Thomas asked, curious about the new visitor. He shared the same thoughts with Pete. As far as his memory was concerned, the mayor didn't recall any tourists that would be arriving in Mineral Town today. Maybe she came here unknowingly...?

"Oh no, I'm not a tourist. My name is Claire." She waved her hand. "I mean... I arrived here from the city recently, but that's beside the point."

She's from the city...? Pete rubbed the back of his neck. What is she doing on the farm, then? Was she familiar with the old man, too? I highly doubt that.

"I see! Welcome to Mineral Town, Claire." Thomas welcomed her with a smile and tipped his hat. "My name is Thomas, and I'm the mayor of the town."

Claire's expression lit up. Oh, he's the mayor? That makes this convenient for her. "Is this the farm of Mineral Town?" She asked, standing in front of the two men. "I saw it was up for sale, and I recently bought it."

"... You what?" Pete's brows drew close together and his eyes widened. He tilted his head at an angle. Did I hear that correctly?

"You saw it was up for sale?" Thomas adjusted his glasses and studied her appearance. He doesn't recall the past owner selling the farm. Wouldn't he hear of it being sold? "Where did you hear that this farm was up for sale, miss?"

"I read it from an advertisement by MT Realtor," Claire answered, facing the mayor. "They told me I could enjoy a peaceful and refreshing farm life."

"... MT Realtor told you can live a refreshing life on the farm?" Thomas asked, his voice growing shaky. He suddenly recalled an ad about this farm. The agent's name struck him as familiar.

"Yes, is this the farm?" Claire asked. This has to be the place, right? She heard there was only one farm in Mineral Town.

"E-Er, well..." His shoulders felt heavy. He wiped his glasses with a white cloth. "Indeed, this is the farm but..."

Claire walked past the two men. She looked around and was astounded. The farm did not look... colorful compared to the advertisement. A small house to her right. A barn to her left. They looked much better in the ad. The structures looked... desolate. Was she at the right place? She took a few steps forward and saw the wide-open fields before her eyes. Weeds, branches, stumps, rocks, and boulders were spread all over the area as if a tornado had crashed through. What... is this place? This place looked abandoned! It looked so gorgeous in the ad!

"Hey, I heard this farm would be a lot more attractive!" Claire turned around and stomped toward the shorter man. "What gives?!"

"Y-You see, miss Claire...!" Thomas raised his palms, pressure building on his shoulders. He could feel the intense gaze of the woman drilling into his skull. "I think you may have been... tricked."

"... Tricked?" Her eyes twitched in annoyance. Her arms trembled. She was tricked?! How could she have been tricked?! "What do you mean by that?! I was told this would be a gorgeous farm!"

"It used to be a gorgeous farm, I swear!" Thomas began sweating profusely. "But not anymore since the owner passed away...!"

The owner passed away...? Claire clenched her fists, bowing her head. That answered the question she had before regarding the previous owner.