Chapter Forty Three

OLIVIA

"That's about everything," Elena says, coming up from the private beach side that we rented early this morning. We had to go ask the people who lived in the house along the beach if we could use this area for an intimate party tonight. Away from everyone who will be celebrating New Years. Thank god they said yes because this place is perfect. It's a small beach but great for privacy and that's exactly what we wanted for tonight.

"Great, Daniel and the guys are back at the hotel. They saved us some seats by the pool to enjoy before tonight so we better go before he starts to suspect anything." I nod my head in agreement and follow her around the bend and towards the hotel. I didn't say anything to Daniel about his birthday when he got back in last night. Instead we laid cuddled up watching the walking dead on his laptop before falling asleep. Correction, he fell asleep and I stayed up for a few more hours googling good party ideas.

I was gone before he even woke up this morning so that I had some time to talk with Elena about what we could do to celebrate Daniels 21st. It's a big birthday so I don't want to mess this up.

I can't believe he didn't tell me! I wouldn't have known until it was too late. Then I would've really felt like crap after all he's done for me.

We start to head back up to the guys when we see them all surrounded by the group of people Eric was with the other day. Some guys from the team sit around and talk with Daniel and they seem friendly enough. Eric is sitting on a lounger close by with one of his regulars on his lap, thankfully not making a mess of things by opening his big mouth.

Zoey and Savannah are sunbaking on towels right in front of Daniel and Luke's chairs. Savannah looks back at Daniel as I'm walking up and unties her bikini as to not get tan lines. I shake my head, knowing what she's up to but I smile when Daniel doesn't pay her any attention.

"Hey Olivia!" Zoey yells out at me and some of the group turns around, Daniel holds a hand up to greet us as we walk up and I'm about to wave back but Zoey is in my face. "Hey, um, I didn't see you at all yesterday, I was looking for you to hang out." She fiddles with her hair and looks unsure of herself, like maybe she shouldn't have approached me in front of everyone incase I rejected her. I'm not mean so I don't, instead I give her a small smile and lower my sunglasses over my eyes to shield them from the sun.

She looks at me expectantly and I can't think of an excuse to tell her. Oh man, this is gonna be a little awkward I guess. If we are gonna be civil again and maybe one day be friends it's gonna take time and effort on both ends so I maintain my wobbly smile and say, "sorry, I was out most of the day. Maybe another time?"

She nods her head in agreement and points over to where she was sitting by the pool. "You should come sit with us." As an after thought she adds, "um, you too Elena." She smiles at us wide and turns to walk away, expecting us to follow her and we do.

"Yippee, love spending time with these wonderful people," Elena says and I catch her roll her eyes.

"Be nice," I murmur, leaning closer to her so she can only hear me. "Don't wanna start up a fight when it's so close to Daniels birthday."

She nods her head, "you're right. I can play nice for now."

Elenas a good cousin and friend because that's exactly what she does.

***

"Keep them closed!" I shout at Daniel and plant a hand over his eyes when I see him peeking between his fingers.