"Thank you for today, Mrs. Finger. And I apologize for not being able to focus." Y/n took the book, looking away as she sighed.

"It's all right, my lady. I don't mind."

--

Duchess Ackerman stopped on her track, she stared at the busy male servants who are all occupied in carrying the birthday presents of their soon-to-be new empress.

"Did you send a gift to Lady Y/n?"

The raven-haired woman looked at her male cousin, Karl. Karl is a tall man, with short blond hair, and beautiful gold eyes.

He's in his mid 30's.

"Of course, I did. Though it's nothing extravagant like what surely the other has gifted to her ladyship." Kuchel responded.

Karl nodded his head.

The two continued on their way, going to the throne room. The emperor has called for an assembly to announce who knows what. It was just said that it is important.

"How is Mikasa doing?" Kuchel asked.

Karl smiled sheepishly.

"She's still at the top of her class, and she's doing well in making friends. I'm glad that other than Eren and Armin, she has other friends. Yesterday, she brought two of her girl friends to our house." Kuchel smiled.

She could see how proud Karl is of her niece. "That's great. Mikasa is a bit gloomy, I'm relieved that she's still able to socialize."

Karl nodded in agreement.

He roamed his eyes around, and was surprised to see a familiar woman from afar with a man who's also familiar with him. "Isn't that Dr. Jaeger and Lady Carla?"

Kuchel looked at the Jaeger couple.

She smiled as she met Carla's gaze.

"Let's go greet them."

Kuchel and Karl made their way towards Grisha and Carla. "Duchess Ackerman! Lord Karl! It is nice to see you both today."

Grisha greeted the two with a wide smile.

"It is nice to see you both, too." Kuchel said.

She looked at Carla, smiling softly.

"Carla, it seems you never age. I'm jealous."

Carla covered her lips with her fan as she chuckled. "I could say the same to you, Duchess Ackerman. You're stunning as ever. Please tell me your beauty secrets."

Kuchel laughed as she shook her head.

"I was about to say the same thing to you."

"Karl, why don't we have a drink some time? Bring your wife and daughter with you. My son, Eren, is quite close to your daughter. Carla is also fond of Mikasa."

Kuchel raised a brow as she looked at Karl.

An invitation like that cannot just mean something else, not just a simple dinner or drink. It might also be about two families meeting over their arranging their children into marriage. "It's a pleasure of mine to have your invitation, Dr. Jaeger! I will tell my wife and daughter about it." Karl said.

"Darling..."

Carla whispered to her husband.

She gulped upon sighting a familiar woman and a young man approaching.

Kuchel and Karl looked back, only to see Dina and Zeke. Grisha's first family.

Grisha's eyes softened seeing his eldest son.