19 || 𝐉𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃

𝙳𝚊𝚢 𝟻𝟶

He's lost. He's confused. He's angry. He has just become this unknown rampaging animal that sees red consistently. He scavenges, and he moves forward in his life alone knowing that he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants. 

Rep has been alone for so long and has been consumed by this harsh and monstrous world and has eventually given to what insanity could do to him. As he goes on, schizophrenia, PTSD, and his personality disorder work together as a harmful trio, ensuring he becomes this degrading and negative mutant behind a mask.

In the rarest cases, there will be moments when that good side of him comes out of his second personality and just a little bit of mutant humanity arises to the surface. Eventually, it will all disintegrate and he will return to that monster of a mutant. Donnie is battling himself almost every second of the day-- as he lives and breathes.

Donnie has marched through so many towns, so many neighborhoods, and endless suburban areas that are filled with infected, and not once has even been touched by an enemy of his. Every single time he comes in contact with something that moves, he takes it down. Rep does not hesitate, not giving a second thought.

The beautiful areas he comes in contact with are what he would describe as innocent, and natural, and they never should have been touched by mankind. His two personalities would talk to each other inside his head, complementing the nature that he is surrounded by. Donnie loved the smell of rain, getting a whiff of fresh air every single time he stepped out of the house he slept in the night before. The other side of him would degrade and talk stupidly about what's beautiful through Donatello's eyes. It was consistent-- it is a consistent fighting game and he always budding heads with Rep, hardly getting his true self out.

It's incredibly rare that Donnie would see himself out of Rep. Maybe once or twice a week he would peek out of the second personality. If he got lucky, maybe three to four times. 

As Rep steps through the neighborhood, making his way into the brush that is filled with overgrown trees and other plants, he hears a sound. Right away, this sound triggers his inner animal. Whatever is making this sound, whatever this odor belongs to... he wanted to end it. All he needed to do first was to listen closely and track it down.

Through the oak and birch trees and maybe a few pine trees, Rep would hear the different-sized twigs and branches snap, the leaves wrestling, and the wind howling to create an eerie environment. This is not infected. The rhythm and the pattern of these footsteps sounded very lively.

He breathes deeply through his mask, narrowing his eyes through the darkened eye holes and feeling his fists tighten around the weapons he gripped. As soon as he looked over his shoulder, he could see the shape of a human walking through the trees and suddenly picking up the pace. Using the skills that he was taught as a child, subconsciously he is being the ninja he was raised to be before he became this monster. 

Now that he has located his target, he carefully stalks this person. He is stalking her just like how any predator would stock its prey through the brush, cautious not to scare it or suspect anything. Rep really enjoyed executing organisms for sport. If he was bored enough, he would find rats, skunks, rabbits, or any small animal just to end its life and feel satisfied. He had no remorse or sympathy. If it was a human, he felt nothing.

Rep kept up on the person's trail until he finally caught up with her and found her fiddling through her backpack and this was when he realized he had an opportunity. He gripped the two Kamas in his hands, ready to use them against her. 

He could feel the tension rising within him, urging him to place these blades into her spine, her shoulder, or even across her neck. Then he just went ballistic. without even thinking, Rep ran up behind this defenseless survivor and rolled her over on her back, causing her to freak out in fear. This woman had no time to inhale to get a scream out! She didn't have time to defend herself because before she knew it the blood was coming out of her mouth and she was choking on her own bodily fluids. One of Rep's blades had punctured her lungs and even sliced her left shoulder and he watched the life slip away from her eyes. She is a mangled mess.

The dark hair which was once silky yet filthy with dirt and grease had been filled with her blood and is infested with a ton of forest debris. As soon as the young woman released her last breath and slipped away with her eyes wide open, Rep yanked his weapons from her body violently and breathed out deeply.

Just when he believed that he was finished, he heard a faint sound coming from about 50 yards away. Luckily, Donatello had slipped through Rep and slowly got up from the ground, leaving the woman on the forest floor. As Donnie followed these sounds, he recognized what it was. Rolling his eyes behind the mask, he knew what it was and he felt instant guilt and regret. Then, he came up to a small cabin sitting in the woods by itself and realized that this is the source of the cries coming from an infant.

With no fear, he barges through the front door of this run-down structure and is fully armed for whatever might be hiding in this house with the baby. But there was no one else here. Sitting in the middle of the living room is a child inside a laundry basket filled with blankets. From his thoughts, Don knew what he had done-- what Rep had done.

"Ah, sh*t." Don whispered sharply, kneeling to the laundry basket to get a closer look at this baby. He moved the blankets from the baby's face and revealed his blue eyes, blonde hair, and a dark birthmark on the little boy's chin. Donatello closed his eyes, knowing that he may have just killed this baby boy's mother outside. He can't just leave the child here to die.

The baby settles down in the basket and Donnie takes the time to remove his mask and reveal his appearance to the baby who appears to be about 3 months old. He reaches into the basket of blankets and picked the boy up, holding him close to his plastron. "I'm so sorry." Donnie said, suddenly feeling Rep try to break through again. He strains, fighting Rep mentally.

He can't snap on this baby. Don needs to fight to keep this child alive. Thankfully, he does.

Donnie slips his mask back over his face before re-entering the outside and returning to the baby's dead mother. Once he did, he came to the backpack she used to have ownership of and looks through it in hopes of something useful for her son. There is a can of baby formula, a glass bottle, diapers, and clothes.

When he glances at the glass bottle, it had a name written in black sharpie. "Jared." Don says the baby's name aloud. Now he knows the boy's name. Next, he peeks inside the can of formula and groans in disappointment. There is at least two days' worth of formula. Jared won't make it without a full can of formula, Donnie knows that for a fact.

Donatello makes a deal with himself. He will take care of this baby and before the formula runs out, he will bring this child to a group that will be able to provide. Don doesn't have the capability to care for Jared either, not mentally.

He just killed Jared's mother without a second thought and the least he could do for this baby is keep it alive until he finds that suitable family for him. This will be a short mission that will feel like an eternity.

"I vow to keep you alive, Jared." Donnie says to the child, seeing he is cuddling inside the blankets and gnawing on his fist. The mutant turtle smirks at the infant and before leaving this part of the forest, Donnie looks inside the woman's backpack and found a necklace hiding at the bottom. The cord is made of rope and the pendant is a clear crystal wrapped in copper wire. This must have been his mother's.

He can't stay here and strip this backpack, not while he has Jared in his possession. Donatello zips up the woman's backpack and throws it on his shell, adding it to his collection. Next, he continues his journey but this time he is accompanied by a young human being whom he needs to make sure stays alive for the next two days.

And of course, the infected are not far behind.