14 || 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋

𝙳𝚊𝚢 𝟷𝟿

Not much had happened after Donnie and Katie woke up from their sleep in the Durango yesterday. When they awoke, they strolled through the muggy weather, feeling light raindrops fall on them.

Just before sundown, they found this little motel off the side of the highway with a few cars out front, but no one at the front desk. As they walk up together, the two friends walked into one of the empty rooms and slept there until the morning had come. They are still there.

Sitting on the bed, Katie looks up at Donnie, seeing he is moving very well after being shot just a couple of days ago. "How's your arm?" She asked, seeing his white gauze is a light shade of red and brown.

Don looks at his left bicep quickly. "Good, I guess. Not as sore."

She dug through her backpack, looking for one of those stale bags of chips she found at a gas station yesterday. "Do mutants like... heal fast?" Katie takes the cool ranch Doritos from her bag and opens it up, plucking the first chip.

The mutant turtle sat down on his own bed, dumping his backpack out onto the bed. He heard her crunching on the chips she snacked on. "Well, yes and no... Being a mutant is complicated."

"Oh," Katie eats another chip, still looking through her pack to see what she had found yesterday. On the way to this motel, she and Donnie were able to find a few stores along the way, gathering some supplies here and there. One of those items she found was a game called 'Cards Against Humanity'. One of Katie's favorite games. "Hey," She giggled, taking the game out. "Wanna play?"

Donnie had a pocket knife in his hands, checking the tools that were built into it, He looks up at her and recognized the card game. "Cards Against Humanity? That's like a four-person game."

"Dang... you're right. Let's play anyway!" She put her snack to the side and pulls out the first black card before tossing Donnie a few white cards as he sat on his bed. Katie brings the card to her face and giggled at it. "This is the prime of my life. I'm young, hot, and full of blank."

The turtle shuffled through the white cards, skimming each out until he picked one that thought fit the black card. "Poor life choices." He answered with a light chuckle. Katie laughed, thinking that was a good response, and Donnie hands her the white deck of cards while he had the black deck. He reads off. "Hey, baby. Come back to my place and I will show you blank."

Katie looks through her cards and finds one that might catch Donnie off guard but bring a smile to his face. "A PowerPoint presentation." She cackled on the bed, hiding her face. Don thinks that was an excellent response. "Not so bad..."

"Really?" Katie asked. "I feel like this is already getting boring."

Don shrugged his shoulders at her, giving her a smile. He kept digging through his pack until he found a few objects he had forgotten about. It was that mask, cloak, and gloves. "Hm."

"What is it?" Katie says.

Donnie shook his head at her. "Nothing, nothing. Just tired of surviving is all..." That wasn't entirely a lie.

"Ain't that the truth." Katie says softly, pausing for a short moment. "Donnie?"

He looks up at her. "Hm?"

"I don't mean to sound nosey, but, what was your life like? Do you miss your family?" She asked, leaning back on the pillow.

He has told her a few times about his family and how things functioned every day. Well, now, it sounds like Katie wanted some clarity. "Um..." He mumbled, dangling his legs over the bed. "Every day was complicated, get tolerable, and hardly made sense."