I breathed out a sigh and my grip tightening on the microphone like I was about to sing.

“He actually loved her the most,” I said out loud. It was silent, and I found this very awkward.

I closed my eyes in front of everyone, trying to dig deep into my heart to find something better about Kresten that was even better than his romantic side.

“He was a very good friend. I mean, I know he was. I mean, he…fought a lot. But Kresten, he had a very large heart for people, he’d do anything and everything to make someone happy. He was hilarious,” I sort of choked on that last word, finding a tear streaming down my face.

Everyone continued to gaze at me, ignoring the hot weather. I was in a dark gray dress that my mom bought me just the night before so I’d have something decent to wear.

“I told Kresten secrets that he promised to keep, and he hasn’t told anyone. He taught me to love whoever I want, as long as my heart agrees with me. He even took me to this beautiful area outside of Seattle; we had fun on our first time together there…” My voice trailed off and my eyes darted to the side as I struggled to find some other things to share.

I coughed and another tear fell from my eye. I wiped my cheeks, trying to keep myself and my voice itself steady.

“He um, he pushed Elaine Waters and James Freeman off the cliff for me. He tried to save me, and he died because of it.” I confirmed.

I looked around as I started seeing flashes from people spark at me, taking pictures and such. Reporters were here, but they promised not to put the funeral on air if his parents didn’t permit it.

“I still feel like it’s my fault he’s gone.” I let out weakly in a low whisper, my voice falling apart. I sniffed and let out a moan, finding myself crying now. “I’m so sorry,” I apologized weakly, quickly turning away and burying my face in my hands. Mr. and Mrs. Summers, my mom, and John got up on the stage. Whispers from the crowd scattered all around the air.

“It’s okay Heather, you did a beautiful job.” Mrs. Summers praised, patting me on the back.

I nodded my head, my face still covered. John went up to the mike and sent a small smile, “Let’s get a round of applause for Heather Haggler, a good friend of Kresten Summers.” He said, trying to tame the crowd while I was busy sobbing at the edge of the stage.

Everyone started clapping, but Lola didn’t. She was crying herself, and Shaun hugged her for support. My mom took my hand and guided me down the stage, and my heels that Ms. Zeleski made Brittany lend me were clicking and clacking as I went down the steps. I wiped my eyes and Ms. Summers gave me a mirror so I could fix myself up. I sent her a short smile and quickly frowned again, looking at my eyes through the reflection. I looked up at I noticed a group of people carrying a dark black coffin onstage.

“Ladies and gentleman, we owe it to Mr. and Mrs. Summers for this funeral. If you have any flowers or prayers for Kresten Jacob Summers, you can each take a turn onstage to do so.” The pastor said.

I gazed at the coffin as I noticed a huge picture of Kresten that sat beside it. He looked much younger in it. I could help but to glance at Lola, and she was crying so hard. Her eyeliner was running down her face, and Shaun was trying to calm her down. I continued crying as well, and Mr. Summers gave me a hug.

“I’m fine,” I lied out; I motioned for them to go onstage and pray for Kresten as he lay motionless in the closed coffin. I breathed out a sigh as soon as the pastor walked downstage to greet me. I shook his hand, John and my mom standing beside me. This sort of reminded me of my dad’s funeral. It was heartbreaking…and very depressing.