15. breach

JAPANESE NOTES:
-Oji-san means uncle
-okaeri means 'welcome home'
-choco pan is just chocolate bread (like the cornets, if you've seen Lucky Star)

'Don't kill me, just help me run away
From everyone, I need a place to stay
Where I can cover up my face
Don't cry, I am just a freak...'

Freaks, Surf Curse

The darkness was suffocating. It threatened to swallow (Y/n) whole as she heaved out a breath, seething through the last of her strength. The constant transitions from Ice and Flame left her body beaten and exhausted. It was only a matter of time before her knees gave in and she crumpled to the ground, dead.

"It's over." Kibutsuji cupped (Y/n)'s bloodied cheeks. "Give up, Ice Hashira."

The glow of his blood red eyes sent shivers down (Y/n)'s back. She heaved, oxygen filling her body with a burst of strength, a burst of will to fight. An arc of icy shards pierced the darkness and cut straight through Kibutsuji's arm. He remained still in place, grip tightening against her jaw.

"Your attacks are weakening again." The arm regenerated. "Tomorrow, this will only repeat again. Your Demon Slayer Mark does little to benefit your attacks and the only form from the Breath of Sun you can do is the first form." He tutted as if (Y/n) were nothing more than a wounded puppy. "You try too hard, it's almost admirable. Have you yet to consider my offer?"

The offer was tempting--so damn tempting--but (Y/n) was stronger than that. She didn't need power to find out what Kai and Hari hid from her, or power to feel like something when she was nothing. All that mattered was Kibutsuji's defeat, nothing more, nothing less. (Y/n) wouldn't live past her twenties anyway (the Demon Slayer Mark made sure of it). Whatever happened to her after was trivial as long as victory remained on the horizon.

"You are foolish." Kibutsuji bared his fangs, that perfectly perfect face of his contorting into a furious sneer. "Have I not given you a fair share of terms? Have I not offered benefit you? Admit your defeat!" He dug his nails into her skin. "You are exhausted! Tired!"

(Y/n) squeezed her eyes tight. It was true, no matter how hard she tried to suppress it. Kibutsuji heard her thoughts, from the prays to end this madness, to a broken dream of resting in peace.

"I've heard you utter that over and over and over again, yet you keep standing. Let go!"

(Y/n) fell to her knees. No. No. No. She couldn't. Not when this man took the lives of everyone she loved. Not when this man tormented innocents for thousands of years. Not when--not when she was here to fight. To defend those who could not protect themselves.

"Let go!"

Kokoro wo moyase--set your heart ablaze. If this was the end, then at least (Y/n) could say she fought until her last breath.

"You are beaten!"

(Y/n)'s grip tightened around her katana.

"You are close to death!"

A breath. Once. Twice.

"You are weak!"

(Y/n) ripped herself from Kibutsuji's grip.

Breath of Ice: Tenth Form, Dance of Fire and Ice!

Flames burst from the tip of her gleaming katana, lighting the night in brilliant reds and oranges. (Y/n) brought her blade down. She slashed through skin and bone and raised it again, commanding the flames to cool into ice. She swung, aiming directly for the neck.