5. what will never be

I have to finish my driving classes before the road test. Wish me luck when that time comes. I also have AP US history next school year (I'm going to be a senior, oh my goodness!). Thank you all for the kind comments and support regarding this story, I had been nervous about publishing it for months!
-Also, tell me why it's always the daddy issues like, am I the only one who sees that pattern or??
-gotta get through the year, but i'm kinda slipping lmaoooo. Tatakae, tAtAKAE!
-almost started crying while writing this haha, just brought back bad memories but oh well

'Dad always told me, "Don't you cry when you're down"
But mum, there's a tear every time that I blink
Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved...'
-Supermarket Flowers, Ed Sheeran

------

(Y/n)'s eyes snapped open. She sat up quickly, gaze darting around the room. A breath escaped her lips, puffs of white faintly wafting into the air. A warm blanket, draped over her body fell to her waist as she adjusted her position. She glanced around the spacious, bouncing between paintings and windows against the tan walls.

In the depths of (Y/n)'s groggy mind, she had half a head to wonder whose room this was. It wasn't the living room she slept in day in and day out beside Akaza. There was no hearth here popping with flames, much less any warmth. At the thought of Akaza, (Y/n)'s heart leapt from her chest.

Where is Akaza? Is he safe? Is he alright?

She jumped to her feet and tore open the window. A snow-filled breeze frigid to the bone assaulted (Y/n)'s exposed skin. She shivered, gripping the icy windowsill with a grit of her teeth. Akaza--she had to find him, make sure he was alright. She threw a foot out the window, but before she could shove her face into the snow outside, footsteps caught her ear.

Fudge. Whose house was this?

A familiar presence answered her questions: warm, brotherly, fierce as a flame. The door opened quietly. A boy with bright hair like fire and eyes wide with unmatched enthusiasm stepped in with a carbon copy of himself in tow. He held a tray of steaming tea and food.

"I don't recommend that," Rengoku-san said with a laugh, "the snow melted a lot yesterday, but since the temperature dropped, it all turned to ice. You might hurt yourself jumping out like that." He set down the tray by the futon as his carbon copy shut the door. "Come eat before you leave, I'm sure you're hungry."

The warm smile upon Rengoku-san's lips made (Y/n)'s side itch uncomfortably. It was wrong to be in the presence of a demon slayer when her best friend was Upper Moon Three. She couldn't keep associating with Rengoku-san, no matter how kind he was. It was too dangerous.

(Y/n)'s limbs weighed heavily as she stiffly stood by the window. Exhaustion tore a violent shake from her knees, the cold doing no good to ease her across the room. She stumbled, caught herself on the window with a heavy breath, teeth gritted.

Breathe. She had to breathe. But how could she when Akaza was somewhere out there? Alone?

Or even dead?

The image of that man who sent her to the past flashed in her mind. Organs beneath her feet, an eyeball rolling along the snowy forest, crimson blood splatters of blood--what if that was Akaza's body strewn across the house? His blood seeping through the floorboards?

A shiver ran down (Y/n)'s spine. She clutched her haori closer, running a trembling finger across the snowflakes dyed into the fabric. The hairpin in her hair weighed more than a rice bag as she slowly stumbled to the futon. She took a seat, gears whirling a thousand kilometres per second. If Kibutsuji hadn't killed Akaza, then it was possible he escaped with a warning (whatever cruel punishment that entailed).