13. love in the dark

-CAUTION: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS AN ANXIETY ATTACK
-I think this chapter got a little too real? If you want, you can skip around the 3/4 of the chapter. It takes place in a car, as a heads-up

Is there somebody that can
help me?
I'm crawling in my skin
Sometimes I feel like givin' up but I just can't
it isn't in my blood

-In My Blood, Shawn Mendes

The sun was blinding. It hurt to bask in its warmth, as if its very touch could turn (Y/n) to ash. She groggily pulled up the sheets, a low groan escaping her scratchy throat. When was the last time she drank something? Her throat was dry again, just as it was the night before and the one before that. She vaguely remembered waking up every so often to use the bathroom or eat, but besides that...

...how long had (Y/n) been sleeping?

She was so thirsty. Even a single drop of water was enough to satiate her thirst (if she could just get some). She heaved out a long, tired whine and stood. The sun's touch was hot. It burned like fire, but the longer (Y/n) basked in it, it faded like a mirage.

(Y/n) staggered out of her room, ankles buckling and knees wobbling as she leaned against the wall for support. Step after step was like walking across eggshells. Her body ached and her limbs weighed heavily. It wasn't like she had been fighting demons all week, yet it felt like it. Similar to the nights spent running and hunting for the cursed beings of the moon.

Maybe in her mind, she had been. Kibutsuji's unrelenting presence wasn't a pretty sight to behold. She dreamt of fighting him, of ripping him to shreds with her katana.

The sounds of running water caught (Y/n)'s ears. She sniffled and sneezed loudly. Someone turned around, but before she could see who it was, a pair of arms picked her up and set her down on the couch. She felt a glass being placed to her lips, and before she cold protest, cool water began soothing her scratchy throat. It tasted a little odd, but maybe it was because she was so thirsty.

"Better?"

(Y/n) nodded groggily and Kai set the small glass on the table. His presence was warmer than she remembered, trapping her in a honey sweet embrace. Each movement was like that of a pure saint. He unfolded a blanket with grace, set it over her with a touch softer than cotton, and placed a pillow behind her back for the support she didn't know she needed.

It was funny watching Kai fuss about, but (Y/n) liked it. Especially since he owed her after being so insufferable the past month or so.

Kai wasn't wearing any of his ridiculous get-ups today--just a simple black dust mask, no gloves (maybe he just finished cleaning?) and no excessively tidy button-ups. Instead, he was in his pajamas, a plain black sweatshirt and grey sweatpants. It was nostalgic, a reminder of simpler times when they were only but children.

"How are you feeling?" Kai knit his brows together. "Your fever flared up earlier. You should still be in bed." (Y/n) laid down and rubbed at her eyes sleepily. Everything in passing seemed like a blur, a fragment of unnecessary blobs she couldn't shut off no matter how hard she blinked. "Mhmm..."

Kai's brow creased further still. He placed a hand to (Y/n)'s head, those stern eyes softening tentatively. He seemed to be running a thousand scenarios within his head in milliseconds as he knelt beside the couch. "You're not in your right mind," --he pulled the covers up and tucked her in-- "but I'm glad you're finally awake. Today's Christmas Day."

Christmas Day? (Y/n) blinked owlishly, eyelids heavy with the urge to sleep. "Is that a good thing?" Kai looked like he wanted to smile. "Maybe. I'll be back, I need to get something."