2. acceptance

-here's the you hum in this chapter

The winter chill bit at the back of (Y/n)'s neck. She stood in the middle of the dark forest, bathed in silvery moonlight. Clouds lazily passed overhead and whenever they stopped to hide the moon, darkness fell. The only light omitting throughout the tall trees was the shine of a single lantern propped upon a steady rock.

Akaza's persimmon eyes gleamed in the darkness. It was near pitch black without the moonlight, save for his luminescent gaze that fell upon her stance. "After over three hundred years of training, I can say I've learned a lot about martial arts. I've tried many styles and yours is not familiar to me. You're clearly not from here and your style only leaves me puzzled."

A frown made its way to (Y/n)'s lips. She relaxed her position, opting to kicking a pile of snow out of the way. "I'm from the future, Akaza."

His eyes widened. "The future? How is that possible? I understand that your clothing is far less...appropriate for this age, but I never concluded that you'd be a time traveler of sorts."

(Y/n) brushed a loose lock of hair behind her ear with a shrug. "In the future, over ninety percent of the population have a Quirk. Mine is Overhaul, the ability to take apart and put things back together." A flash of realisation sparked in Akaza's eyes. He stood a little straighter, leaned a little closer. "So that was how you killed that man? By activating 'Overhaul'?"

A numb nod was all (Y/n) could offer. She didn't want to think about the blood splashing through the air, the scream echoing in her ears, or the last words she gave to the man who sent her here by accident. It was a simple miscalculation on his part that triggered his last moments on Earth.

A chilly breeze passed, carrying swirling snow in flurries of white. Akaza took a few steps forward, stooping low to meet (Y/n)'s gaze. Her heart pounded as she met his intense eyes engraved with the Kanji for 'Upper Moon Three'.

"What's with the long face?" His nose nearly touched her own and his voice deepened by an octave. "Being able to protect yourself is a blessing many do not have. You clearly have experience fighting, else you wouldn't have been able to dodge the knife. I can tell you've killed, you have that look in your eyes."

The intensity of his presence sent a shiver down (Y/n)'s spine.

"Your hesitation nearly led to your own death. I don't understand why someone with so much potential would want to hold back. Your Quirk is incredible, I'm sure you'll be able to reach tremendous lengths if you pushed your limits."

In the dim lantern light, shadows licked the sides of his face in long arcs of darkness. (Y/n) steeled herself to avoid breaking from his gaze. Snow crunched as Akaza took a knee. Gods, why wouldn't he just leave the topic alone? It was unbearable, having a demon lecture her about self-defense and morals. What would he know when he ate people for fun?

Akaza stared up at (Y/n), persimmon eyes searching for what could not be said. For a moment, it was only the soft breeze, the darkness, and the flicker of the lantern filling the abyss of silence.

He searched (Y/n)'s golden eyes once more, as if the answers he wanted would write themselves before him. "Why are do you tremble?" His voice was softer than the cold wind tickling her cheek. It barely came above a whisper, so quiet even winter's silence could not compete. "Why are you sad?" He could hear the way her breaths had gone shallow, see how tight she clenched her fists in her pocket, and sense the sorrow filling her heart. It made his shoulders heavy with an invisible weight.

This was not something a demon should feel, not something Akaza should feel. (Y/n) wondered how he could tell when he was but a demon, a man-eating, greedy demon who catered to his own selfish interests. She pulled her sweaty hands from her pockets and held them tight at her sides.