8: dishonesty

-wrote this chapter like 4 times
-and now I'm re-writing it about half a year later ahahahaah
-Found this website purely by accident. It describes meanings of your name based on the letter/number of letters in your name. Here is , but you can search your own name too. Mine is pretty accurate. I find it represents us at our 'best' in the most virtuous situations/if we aren't corrupted by the world around us
-it is currently 9th October 2022, I wrote this chapter back in like December of 2021 only to delete it and rewrite the whole thing lmaooo

'There must be something in the water
'Cause everyday it's getting colder
And if only I could hold you
You'd keep my head from going under...'
-Bruises, Lewis Capaldi

"Promise me not to tell your brother."

Those words echoed in the back of (Y/n)'s mind as she sat in the dark, silent room. The only sound breaking through the heavy atmosphere was the low beep of the heart monitor.

"Your brother has tried everything to help him," Yaororozu-san said, "but it seems his current state might either be a result of old age, or a chronic illness."

Why hadn't Kai said anything? Much less, explained the situation? He hadn't been honest, and that, more than anything, cut deeper than a knife. (Y/n) may be young, but she walked beside death for years. She could take the truth. She could handle the crushing weight that left her winded and choking for air as tears streamed down her ashen face--

"(Y/n)."

She hadn't heard the footsteps, or sensed the presence colder than the Arctic. Maybe it was because this presence was much like her own, hardened by this terrible reality. She stifled a sob, sniffled quietly. "Nii-chan," --her voice trembled-- "why...why didn't you say anything?"

The heart monitor beeped as she stared at the hands that refused to move. Once, Oyaji had tried to braid (Y/n)'s hair, but complained that his hands weren't nimble like hers. Once, he had held her close and ran a hand over her head as he lovingly kissed her cheeks. Now, that would never happen. Not as long as he lay in bed frozen in time.

Kai strode into the room, steps heavy and sharp. "I told you not to come in here," he stated. "This isn't something you should see." The urge to laugh hit (Y/n) like a hurricane. She turned to face him, liquid golden eyes glistening with fresh tears. "Something I 'shouldn't see'?" she echoed. "He's our Oyaji! I've been gone for four years and you don't even want me to see him...?"

The crack in (Y/n)'s voice echoed against the empty walls like a gong. For a moment, Kai's gaze fell to the ground, but just as quickly, it rose sternly. No remorse. No kindness in those icy eyes. "This is exactly why I didn't want you to see him." He heaved out a heavy sigh and closed his eyes in thought, as if this were a trivial matter that could easily be solved.

But it wasn't. Not when Oyaji could be on his deathbed and there was something both of them could do. (Y/n)'s hands curled into fists. "I'm not a little kid," she tightly stated. "I never was and you know, this for me, is bearable." The images of bloodstained mountainsides and rolling heads filled her mind, where screams and cries of the dead always lay in its wake.

Death was inevitable, and (Y/n) knew that more than anyone. She pleadingly looked into Kai's hardened eyes, silently begging an answer. It was the only thing she could ask for, the only thing she truly needed from him in this second.

Kai sighed to himself. "(Y/n)," he spoke softly, as if afraid she would break, "can you trust me as I've trusted you?" Her breath caught in her throat, face ashen and drained of any colour as the tears kept streaming down, down, down. Trust? What trust could she give when her mind dared entertain the thought of foul play?