12. the monster in my head

-I have taken an adoration to Hari, respectfully
-I have a field trip tomorrow and I am excited because I get to skip school lmaooo
-mad that sunday of thanksgiving break, I have a parade for band. I am playing cymbals while my family gets to go up to Canada for the week.
-the parade was terrible lmao. It turned out to be 3miles, and since I play cymbals, it was torture for my poor hands and arms. Everyone in percussion had it rough lol
-i realized that for editing headers, I can just slap manga panels on and it won't compress the pixels, so here it is, an actually nice looking header lmao
-also, new story cover!

JAPANESE NOTES:
Furoshiki; a cloth traditionally used to wrap goods/presents/objects

'And a part of me keeps holding on
Just in case it hasn't gone
I guess I still care
Do you still care?'
-When We Were Young, Adele

It was silent--unbearably silent. If (Y/n) had dropped her phone, it would echo like a rock in a cavern. The car lowly hummed along the snowy roads, breaking the heavy (terrifyingly quiet) silence was the 'swish-swish' of the windscreen wipers. (Y/n) fiddled with her hands, swallowing hard the lump in her throat.

"Hari--"

"The snow." He gave the steering a jerk and the car skidded to the left, tilting violently on its side. (Y/n) slammed into her seat as she grasped the handles in an iron grip. It was a miracle police cars weren't ripping through the streets after them. "You could have gotten hypothermia, frost bite, or sick. Again. You should know that it doesn't take much for the body to stop functioning at low temperatures."

Anyone who grew up around two biology nerds would have known (or anyone with half a brain, really). (Y/n) pursed her lips tightly, sighing. "I was dressed warm, and besides, I wasn't outside for long." Hari's nostrils flared and he rounded another turn, narrowly swerving into the wrong lane.

"You weren't outside for long? You were dressed warm?" he echoed, correcting the steering. "Your jacket was piled with snow, so you could have been outside from fifteen minutes to half an hour! I told you to wait for me, what did you decide to go outside for?"

A bitter laugh threatened to break through (Y/n)'s throat. She sucked her teeth with a small 'tch'. "I don't want to hear your lecture when you left me at the library. If it was so urgent, Nii-chan could have gone himself."

"And it was." Hari quickly said. "You know I wouldn't have left you at the library if it could've been helped. Kai was busy, he couldn't go so I went instead."

Anger burned in (Y/n)'s heart, a bubbling sort of conflict she couldn't quite freeze over. There was no harm in bringing her along as long as she wasn't in the room to overhear. Yet Hari instead chose to ditch her, how great was that? "You could have taken me with you. Oyaji did that sometimes since he didn't like leaving me alone in a public space, or you could have left me in the car."

Snow pelted hard against the windows, casting the roads in a never ending sea of white. Hari slowed the car, that passionate worry vanishing into a tired frown. "It's cold outside, I couldn't just leave you in here." (Y/n) wouldn't believe it even though it was true. She folded her arms across her chest, liquid golden eyes hard as ice. "You're lying to me."

"No, I'm not."

(Y/n) stared at him through the rear view mirror in disbelief. She sensed the change in energy where warmth was lacking and unease trickled like a faulty faucet. Clearly, Hari forgot she was skilled in the sixth sense, else he wouldn't have lied to her face like it were his second job. "You and Kai are both the same."