Chapter 3 - It's Not Even Half-Time Yet

By the time Keira and Norm had finished with the cars for the day, the sun had already settled beyond the horizon.

Which meant that Keira had no chance of freshening up before the important dinner.

The strange day even ended up with her walking Mr. and Mrs. Hart to her home. Something she hadn't counted on. But judging from Nikato's surprisingly good behavior, perhaps the evening wasn't doomed after all.

Keira took it as a good sign that the Kangal seemed to approve of Mrs. Hart, even though she was by far a newer person to him than Mr. Hart.

People of whom Nikato approved, Keira also approved of as well.

After what felt like forever, the white picket fence that surrounded her and Wanda's garden finally came into view. Small talk was definitely not her forte, and unfortunately, Kato couldn't help her in that department.

Keira just thanked her lucky star that Wanda would be joining them shortly. Her wife was far more superior at handling people than she was. "Just a fair warning." She piped up as she placed the key in the lock. "We're still pretty new in the neighborhood so everything hasn't found its place yet. We've done our best to get the boxes out of the way, but it's not finished yet."

"Is this excuses I hear, Keira? Not a great way to start the evening." Mr. Hart huffed but when his wife put a hand to his chest, he seemed to deflate a bit.

Mrs. Hart faintly shook her head and shot Keira a kind smile before shooting a quick glare at her husband. "Arthur. Have some patience for the poor woman. She's merely trying to explain the situation."

"Thank you, Mrs. Hart." Keira mumbled under her breath, secretly grateful that her hair shielded her from view so that her flushed cheeks were out of view from her boss. With a deep exhale, she turned the key and it gave a satisfactory click.

She crossed the threshold first, closely followed by Nikato. Her hands automatically tugged off his collar and then held the door open to welcome the Harts in. "Here we are!" Her head was too full of anxious thoughts to even notice that all the lights were off.

"Oh!" Mrs. Hart exclaimed in surprise as she entered. "How very atmospheric!"

"Huh?" Keira closed the door behind them and she did her best to not let the surprise show on her face. The entire house was bathed in darkness, with the exception of the lit candles standing around the room. Their flickering flames together with the soft, romantic jazz tune that played on the radio really set the mood for an evening made for two.

It definitely wasn't suitable for a dinner with one's boss and their wife.

"What's going on here, Keira? You blow a fuse?" Mr. Hart questioned gruffly, clearly less impressed by the dim lighting and music than his wife.

"Eh..." Keira stood dumbfounded for a moment, not knowing what to say or do. It was only when something big and furry pushed against the side of her leg that she was pulled out of her frozen state. "Pardon me while I go and fetch the lady of the house." She excused herself and kicked off her shoes before disappearing through the kitchen door on the other side of the room, closely followed by Kato.

Wanda on the other hand, who had been waiting for her wife to come home, sneaked out of the bedroom and slowly tiptoed behind the person she believed was Keira. It was pretty dark, and she didn't register the fact that two people were standing in the living room.

When she was close enough, she put her hands over the person's eyes. "Guess who?" She said in a seductive voice, completely oblivious to the fact that the person in front of her was slightly taller than her wife. Not to mention, a bit wider as well.