Chapter 1 - A Hearty Hello

A kiss to her temple gently stirred Keira out of her sleep.

"Time to wake up, my love." Wanda whispered, loving the way the mutant's face scrunched up in a sleepy smile. She tucked a few blonde strands behind her wife's ear, smiling softly as Keira leaned into her touch. When a pair of arms laced themselves around her neck, her resolve nearly broke. "The day is starting with or without us."

Keira faintly shook her head and hugged her wife closer, still refusing to open her eyes. "The day can wait..." She mumbled sleepily, not caring about the fact that she was jeopardizing Wanda's perfectly curled hair.

"Sweetheart..." Wanda sighed, trying hard to suppress her smile at her wife's adorable behavior. "Come now, breakfast is ready." With that, she pressed one last kiss to the mutant's forehead before tearing herself away.

Keira's now empty arms fell onto the duvet cover and in pure protest, she turned to the side and buried her head in the pillow with a grumble.

One might assume that she would be in a hurry since the clock was ticking, and her wife was already fully clothed with breakfast at the ready, but no. Keira had never been a morning person, and she wasn't planning on changing that in the near future.

Wanda, who had returned to the kitchen to add a few finishing touches to the breakfast, could only shake her head at her wife's bad morning temper.

When something stroked the side of her leg, she looked down to be met by the curious eyes of Nikato, their dog. "Maybe you can get Ria on her feet, huh?" She gave him a little scratch behind the ear before tiptoeing over to the bedroom door, leaving it slightly ajar.

Nikato obediently slipped through the gap and jumped up on the bed without hesitation.

A surprised gasp left Keira's lips when a pair of heavy paws landed on her back, squeezing out whatever air she had in her lungs. "K- Kato!" She wheezed, rolling onto her back to push the great Kangal off her.

Of course, Nikato took this as an invitation to play, and the two of them ended up in a play fight that lasted for a good few minutes with him snapping his jaw at her hands as she tried her best to boop his nose. Keira couldn't help but laugh and it didn't take too long before her stomach started to hurt from it. "Oh, you're such a dreamboat, aren't ya, boy?" She chuckled and ruffled his neck.

The Kangal lay down on top of her with his head resting on her chest and his tail lazily wagging against the duvet cover.

"Ugh, fine. Okay, I get the memo, loud and clear." Keira gently pushed Kato's head away and forced herself up into a sitting position. Her back cracked in protest and a low groan escaped her lips when she swung her legs over the side of the bed. The play fight with Nikato had awoken her enough to get her going without too much complaining.

It was a relief for her bare feet to be met by the soft carpet rather than a cold wooden floor and on the other side of the room, her newly washed short-sleeved coverall hung over one of the wardrobe doors.

Keira slipped into it without trouble and stuffed a bandana into her pocket. Since she worked as a mechanic at the local gas station, it was easier to have her hair out of the way rather than to have it down and risk getting it stained with oil or grease.

A big yawn escaped her lips right after she managed to pull her left sock on, and she stretched out her arms, earning a new crack from her right shoulder.

"Gosh, one can't believe I'm supposed to be in my prime time, huh?" Keira looked back at Nikato, who was still lying on the bed. The dog merely tilted his head in question, both his ears perking up slightly.

Shaking her head in amusement, Keira left the bedroom. She could hear her wife going about in the kitchen, but before joining her, the mutant decided to take a detour to the door to collect that morning's newspaper.